Chapter 10__Phantomesque

Rebekah and Kol were on their way back to New Orleans after the Hollow had killed Elijah last night, but we were able to save his soul by putting it into Freya's pendant.

The next morning in the ballroom, Freya was setting up for a spell. Hayley and I were watching her.

Klaus walked in. "Rebekah and Kol have just landed. I've reassured them we're mere moments from returning our brother to life. Don't make me a liar."

"I can't resurrect Elijah until I'm certain his mind is whole," Freya told us.

Klaus gestured to the broken pendant on the table. "Well, you saved Finn with that very trinket. What's the problem?"

"When that pendant was shattered, Elijah's mind shattered with it," Freya explained. "He's most likely retreated to the innermost core of his consciousness."

"How do we find him?" Hayley asked.

"I don't know," Freya told us. "He could be anywhere in a thousand years of memories. But if I try fixing the pendant before finding him and healing his, he'll be permanently fractured. Like casting a broken bone before it's been properly set."

"Spare me the medical analogies and fix him," Klaus told her.

"I need to go inside and find him," Freya told us. "Once I'm sure his mind is stable, then I can fix the pendant."

"Well, then, stop talking and get in there," Klaus told her.

Hayley rolled her eyes in frustration. "Klaus, take a walk. Get some air. Let her work. Please." 

Klaus hesitated, walking out of the room.

I looked at Freya. "So you're saying Elijah is locked in his own, broken, violent psyche, and he needs help to be free and in control, and has a place in his mind for his deepest, darkest demons so they don't consume him?"

"Yeah, it sounds very similar to you," Hayley told me.

I nodded in agreement, looking at Freya. "Please tell me you can do this."

"He's my brother," Freya told us. "I'm not going to stop until he's safe."

*********

Freya had set up a sigil surrounded by candles on the floor, setting up the spell on the table nearby.

Hayley walked closer. "You actually think you can pull this off?"

"I don't know," Freya told us, walking toward the sigil. "I've never actually tried this before."

I turned after her. "Freya..." Freya turned to face us. "There are a thousand years of memories in there. How will you know which is the right one?"

"He'll recognize me," Freya answered. "If I can find the core of his being or whatever memory he's clinging to, I'll pull him out." She walked into the sigil, laying down, chanting. "Tillate ulaz. Tillate ulaz. Tillate ulaz. Tillate ulaz. Tillate ulaz."

The candles around the sigil lit magically.

The broken pendant on the table began to glow blue.

  ********* 

 Freya was still unconscious within the sigil on the floor, surrounded by lit candles.

Hayley and I sat nearby, watching her worriedly.

Freya suddenly gasped awake, sitting up, breathing heavily.