Chapter Fourteen ~ Padfoot

"Expelliarmus!" Lupin shouted. Harry's wand flew once more out of his hand; so did the two Hermione was holding, mine, Aria's, and Laura's. Lupin caught them all deftly, then moved into the room, staring at Black, who still had Crookshanks lying protectively across his chest.

I stood there, feeling suddenly empty. I hadn't done it. My nerve had failed me. Black was going to be handed back to the dementors. If I couldn't take revenge for my parents then what made Voldemort think I could possibly be a Death Eater?

Then Lupin spoke, in a very tense voice. "Where is he, Sirius?"

I looked quickly at Lupin. I didn't understand what Lupin meant. Who was Lupin talking about? I turned to look at Black again. Black's face was quite expressionless. For a few seconds, he didn't move at all. Then, very slowly, he raised his empty hand and pointed straight at Ron. Mystified, I glanced around at Ron, who looked bewildered.

"But then... " Lupin muttered, staring at Black so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind, "...Why hasn't he shown himself before now? Unless--"

Lupin's eyes suddenly widened, as though he was seeing something beyond Black, something none of the rest could see, "-- unless he was the one... Unless you switched... Without telling me?" Very slowly, his sunken gaze never leaving Lupin's face, Black nodded.

"Professor," Harry interrupted loudly, "what's going on --?"

Lupin was lowering his wand, gaze fixed at Black. The Professor walked to Black's side, seized his hand, pulled him to his feet so that Crookshanks fell to the floor, and embraced Black like a brother.

I felt as though my stomach fell to the floor.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" I screamed. Lupin let go of Black and turned to me. "You--you --"

"Avery --"

"-- you and him!"

"Avery, calm down --"

"I didn't tell anyone!" I shrieked. "I've been covering up for you --"

"Samantha, listen to me, please!" Lupin shouted. "I can explain --"

I could feel myself shaking, not with fear, but with a fresh wave of fury. "I trusted you," I shouted at Lupin, my voice wavering, out of control, "Harry and I trusted you! And all the time you've been his friend!"

"You're wrong," said Lupin. "I haven't been Sirius's friend, but I am now--Let me explain... "

"NO!" Hermione screamed. "Avery, don't trust him, he's been helping Black get into the castle, he wants you dead too--he's a werewolf!"

There was a ringing silence. Everyone's eyes were now on Lupin, who looked remarkably calm, though rather pale.

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want the twins dead." An odd shiver passed over his face. "But I won't deny that I am a werewolf."

Ron made a valiant effort to get up again but fell back with a whimper of pain. Lupin made toward him, looking concerned, but Ron gasped, "Get away from me, werewolf!"

Lupin stopped dead. Then, with an obvious effort, he turned to Hermione and said, "How long have you known?"

"Ages," Hermione whispered. "Since I did Professor Snape's essay... "

"He'll be delighted," said Lupin coolly. "He assigned that essay hoping someone would realize what my symptoms meant... Did you check the lunar chart and realize that I was always ill at the full moon? Or did you realize that the boggart changed into the moon when it saw me?"