Chapter 2.2

May 23, 1918

My neck wound won't heal. It's just there; a deep, bloody gash. I'm dressed in a tux and bow tie. It hides my wound. I had no intention to look this good but it sure fits my purpose.

Anyways, I'm sitting in a lovely arm chair but not mine.
Such a nice home, nice couple. How they always look peaceful in their sleep, I wonder. As I got up, I pulled out a sharp razor from my chest pocket. I saved this for today. I cut their throats deep. It was my first time so it wasn't a pretty sight. I tried severing their heads from their shoulders but it wasn't as easy as I thought and I was running out of time. Ugh the axe was way better. I picked up my axe and bashed their heads in. I love this.

June 27, 1918

These two reminded me of what Gina did to me. They were both married, but not to each other. I watched as they laughed and dined like they didn't have a spouse waiting for them at home. How I hate infidels. I played my saxophone but not like every other night. I had to save my energy for later.

I followed them into the dark. And when I was close enough, I struck the man with my axe, on his right temple leading to a possible skull fracture. That's gonna hurt like hell, I thought. The lady just stood there screaming for help. I silenced her with my axe to her ear. But I missed. I stared at the head rolling away. I aimed for her ear but got something better. This just made my night.

  Don't judge me, they deserved it.

August 5, 1918

I am being impersonated; I thought to myself while reading the papers. I have this overwhelming desire to kill. But a pregnant woman! Little school girls? How ridiculous. As long as an axe was involved, everyone will think I did it.

When I find this person, I will hack him limb from limb with his own axe.
The Axeman. That's what they call me. Hmm Axeman, I like the sound of that but I don't have time for stage names. This is not a magic show; this is hell!!

September 10, 1918

I know all my victims, they are of my own choosing. 

  I need a new approach. Foolish police, they conduct investigations openly but deep down, they're just really scared. They better not incur the wrath of the axeman.

They realized my trail of victims are Italian females. I'm not sexist. Don't blame me, blame Gina. She started it. 

   October 15, 1918

There was a knock on the door. How strange. I have no friends anymore, no family, nobody. I opened the door. "Where's Isabella?" she said walking in. "You must be Bella's mother" I replied calmly "Yes I am. Where is my daughter? I haven't heard from her in a long time. Where the hell is she?" she said in her long-winded accent. Gina never told me about her parents. This was a surprise to me. "Relax" I said "She's at the back". I followed her to the back. "She's not here" she said. "She is" I answered "You're standing on top of her".

"What do you mean? Look here mister, you better not play with me. My husband's a police officer".

"I'm not. I murdered Bella and buried her right in that spot where you're standing" I said "It was fun, you should have seen it" I laughed. "What the hell? Maniac!" she said leaving "I'm coming back with the police and you'll be sorry!"

"You know, you my dear, are just as beautiful as your sweet Bella" I said, grabbing my axe from the corner "but not for long".

  Her screams were exactly like her daughter's. I licked the blood off my lips when I was done.

I hate digging but I had to. I dug another grave right beside Bella's and dumped her there. I had a great idea this time. I made garden beds on both graves and planted beautiful, sweet-smelling flowers. No one would suspect a thing. The flowers bloomed faster and looked even more beautiful than I expected.

"Italian", I snickered to myself.  

October 31, 1918

My favorite day of the year. I'm no longer a human. I have a personal relationship with the Angel of Death. I've never been caught, I'm invisible. I can be much worse if I wanted to but I still take pride in what I do. I would very much like to think of myself as a demon spirit from hell.

I'm on my way to the diner to play. I even wrote a special song for this occasion.
I got hold of three girls at the diner, tacky prostitutes. They were glad to see a handsome face like mine. I took them upstairs and made them put on a show for me and when they were done, I put on a fresh one for them, with them.

Something different, hot, bloody. I gouged their eyes out and put them in a glass bowl. "Trick or treat" I laughed. Why they screamed, I wonder, we were only having fun. There was no need to take it personal. Next was their tongue, fingers and then their toes, all in the same bowl. I got bored, so I just separated their heads from their bodies with my favorite axe.

I smeared their blood on the wallpaper "HAPPY HALLOWS EVE" I wrote.
I'm out on the streets. Many costumes, different people. Kids running around in a tux, bow tie and hat and swinging fake axes. I'm a costume too. I'm not even gone yet and they make me a hallow eves costume, how sweet.

"Trick or treat!" the kids said happily to me. I dipped my hands in my bowl, grabbed some of my specials and poured them into their bowls "TREAT!" I said laughing. You should have seen their faces as they ran, screaming.

   Such creativity, happy hallows eve to me.

November 11, 1918

I found him. The idiot that's been impersonating me. He is sloppy and ruining my work. He has to go.

"I see you're a very big fan ey" I said to him. "You are not the axeman, I am!" he laughed hysterically.
"Oh crap, he's a maniac too" I thought to myself. "You see, what I do is art" I said "Yours is just disgusting. You are ruining my reputation. I cannot let you do that".
"I'm better than you in every way! I don't have rules!! I bring death to everyone, deserved or undeserved! You're a fake! You're a phony! You're not even real" he went on and on. I'm getting bored. I don't have time for this.

"Wait", I grabbed my axe "If you claim you're better, can you do this?" I said, giving him a blow to his neck, half of his head tilts. But I'm not done yet, I give him three more on the left side of his head. Funny, he looks like he has gills. 

   "You were right" I said again "I'm not real".