First Thing's First

"You were looking at them like... like you like Betty."

Veronica waited anxiously for Archie to respond. He didn't. He looked conflicted, and if she was being honest with herself, that hesitation hurt.

She moved away from him. "You know what? It's fine. It's okay." Veronica forced a smile.

"Ronnie-" Archie started, trying to reach out to her.

"You have to get ready," she told him. "I don't want you to get hurt. So, just make sure your hand's okay, cause if not, maybe you should sit this one out?"

At that moment she looked so forlorn. He was reminded of that time before Jughead's party when she needed comforting and he wanted to be that person to her.

But he couldn't lie and say he wasn't sure what he felt. Yes, he likes her, but lately whenever he looked at Betty and Jughead, he felt things he couldn't explain.

Did he like Betty? Of course. He's always liked her as a friend. They've been best friends for so long. But did he want more? Is this what this is about?

"It's not that. I just-" He was cut off by a knock on the door. He and Veronica both looked up to see Josie and the Pussycats smiling at them.

"Earlier, your girl V here called to tell me what happened with Cheryl," Josie said. Veronica smiled a small smile and looked down at the floor, stepping away from Archie. He couldn't deny that his arms suddenly felt empty.

"I've reconsidered something," Josie continued. "About your song."

Veronica gave them space to talk. What was she doing, anyway? She didn't chase after men. In New York, they all vied for her attention. So why was she suddenly feeling like she didn't want to let go of Archie just like that?

Still, facts are facts. She knew Archie was starting to feel things for Betty. They may have started something the night of Jughead's party (or actually, the night they met), but she knows Betty and Archie go way back.

Also, you're the one who made sure you and Betty pinky-swore you won't ever let boys get in between you - she reminded herself. 

She drew a breath and stared at herself in the mirror.

You're Veronica Lodge. Lodge women don't play like this.