Second Thing's Second

Betty's speech was amazing. For the first time in her life, Veronica felt like she really was home. How could she feel that way with a place she just recently moved to? And in a place that made her question her whole life?

She watched Betty and Jughead hug and kiss after the Jubilee. There she stood, alone by the hallways. She was still busy composing herself because she was feeling things she didn't want to feel. 

"Veronica Lodge, pull yourself together," she whispered to herself.

She turned around and almost bumped into Archie. 

"Hey," he gave her a small smile. She couldn't help but smile back. 

Was it just a few days ago when she was so worried over the thought of having to move again? And this boy was one of the reasons why, if she had to admit. It was the thought of losing her newfound friendships that had her panicking at the thought of running away. 

"You were amazing, Archiekins," she told him.

That pulled a smile out of Archie. He was positive they'd feel a bit of distance between them.

"Thanks, Ronnie," he told her. 

"I have to go," Veronica quickly said. Archie frowned. He was expecting they would at least get to talk first. 

"Like, right now?"

"Yeah," she nodded quickly. Before she could stop herself, she leaned up and kissed him on his cheek. "You were amazing. I'm proud of you. I hope your hand feels better tomorrow."

She was about to turn around but he reached out to stop her. 

"Talk to me, please?" he told her. 

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Archiekins, don't worry about it. I get it. You don't have to explain anything, okay? You're my friend. Betty's my friend."

"I'm confused, Veronica," Archie said quickly before she could leave. "I don't know what I'm feeling. This is all new to me."

She started nodding before he could be finished talking. "You're starting to have feelings for her. Like I said, I get it. And don't worry about it. We both know Betty's waited for this for so long. Just, be careful, okay? Jughead is also your best friend. And he and I aren't close or anything, but, just be careful."

Archie looked down at his feet, at a loss for words.

Did he want to be with Betty? Was that what he was feeling everytime he looked at her and Jughead? Jughead is his best friend. Could he do that to him?

"Seriously," Veronica said with a chuckle. She knew he would never know, but she had to force that out her. "We kissed like... a few times. It's not like we exchanged vows or something."

"I meant what I said before, Ronnie. I want to try this between us."

"I don't want to, Archie. I don't want to while you're having feelings over someone else. Come on. That would be pretty unfair to both you and I, don't you think? 

He looked so confused that she couldn't stop herself from touching his arm. 

"I have to go. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"

He nodded. She turned around and got ready to leave the school. When she thought he wasn't looking anymore, she turned around to look at him. Only, they were both still watching each other.