Brook, End of Night

"Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell."―Edna St. Vincent Millay

"Hiding never worked well on my Ace-ya." Law said standing up straight and turning to stare at the 10 year old boy.

"I wasn't hiding." He countered and Law felt like laughing but he didn't, he just waited for the child to make his move.

"I was just wondering where Luffy went, that's all." Ace said simply before trying to climb up to the railing to sit.

"We needed to talk." Law wasn't going to fall into these children's hands like the rest of this crew.

"About what exactly?" Ace asked him and Law eyed him carefully.

"You're smarter than Straw hatter but not smarter than me." Law said moving to walk away from the boy.

"But you're not as smart as Sabo." Ace said to him and Law didn't say anything for a moment as he turned his dark eyes onto Ace.

"Is that all you could come up with?" He asked and Ace scowled.

"I'm ten." He grumbled out and Law looked away hiding his smirk with the darkening sky.

"I'm going to bed it's late." Law said turning away ready to go to his spot on the deck to keep an eye on the prisoner.

"Thanks." Ace said suddenly causing Law to stop mid step and turn back to the child a brow rose in confusion.

"I still don't like you but thanks for cheering Luffy up, I've noticed that's what you always do right?" Ace looked away a red tint on his cheeks embarrassed because he had to thank someone he didn't exactly trust.

"Do you really want to know what we're planning Ace-ya?" Law asked him turning his body around to give Ace his full attention Ace nodded seriously.

"What if I tell you that we are facing an enemy we may have no chance on beating? You want to protect your brother but what if you can't? What good will this knowledge do for you knowing that here right now there is nothing you can do to stop us?" Law asked him and Ace just stared at Law like he was an idiot.

"There is no such thing as an enemy Luffy can't beat." Ace told him and Law smiled "If Luffy says he'll do something it will get done, he's stubborn that way and annoying." Ace told him.

"Even if this enemy is incredibly strong?" Law asked him needing to hear this.

"Especially, he was always a cry baby but when he needed to he could be pretty brave." Ace said thinking of all the shit him and his brothers had gotten into.

"From what I've learned so far Luffy is stronger now." Ace said and Law closed his eyes the smile still there.

"He hasn't changed a bit then, good night Ace-ya." Law left Ace there and as much as he didn't want to like the tall, dark man he had to admit Luffy was good at judging people.

"Oh Ace-san!" Ace turned quickly to see a skeleton walking towards him in the dark and if he wasn't the brave kid he was he might have been scared.

"Ah Brook right?" Ace asked him his heart still beating rapidly from fright.

"I didn't see you out here, ah! But I don't have any eyes to see you!" Brook said laughing at his joke.

"Yeah I was just talking." He said and Brook motioned with his hand for Ace to follow him.

"With Law-san?" Brook asked Ace and the kid nodded.

"I don't like him...much." Ace admitted and Brook laughed his normal laugh.