Chapter 3: The Request

Although the stone had "spoken" to Vicky twice now, Vicky still did not know what triggered it to change its temperature and color. The only obvious conclusions that Vicky could draw from the stone's "behavior" was that it could change its physical state thereby leading her to the time portal. It could also make it possible for her to understand what these Scythian women were saying, although Vicky had no idea what language they spoke. She had to find a way to control the stone.

Vicky decided to reenact her first encounter with the stone in grandpa's study. She decided that it would be best to drop by grandpa's cottage after school again so that not to risk having any interruptions.

As soon as she arrived at the cottage, Vicky headed straight for the study. Before she took the stone out of her pocket, she took the file from grandpa's shelf. Vicky wanted to make sure that grandpa did not leave some instruction as to how to use the stone. She made herself comfortable in the brown armchair by the window and quickly turned the pages of the file until she reached the plastic leave where she had initially found the stone. Apart from the title "The Talking Stone" the page did not convey any information. Neither did the next page.

Vicky put the file aside. She took the little bag containing the stone out of the pocket and emptied it into the palm of her hand. As soon as the stone touched the surface of her hand, Vicky felt the stone warming up while changing its color. Once again she felt her limbs become heavy until a point when she could not move. As she expected, next followed the bubble where she saw the same woman who spoke to her when she found the stone.

"Who are you?" asked Vicky, regretting that she started the conversation without a greeting of some kind. The woman did not seem to mind and uttered something which sounded like "Hamazon". The meaning of the word which was made available to Vicky by the talking stone was "the warriors." It was immediately followed by a question: "What is your name, child?"

"Vicky, I mean... Victoria," answered Vicky hesitantly.

"Wagma," pronounced the woman thoughtfully as the talking stone translated: "the one who never fails."

"Yes," continued the woman, "The old man told me. I saw an old man before, like I see you now."

"Grandpa," thought Vicky. "When was this?" she asked, "When did you see the old man?"

"Long ago. He tried to find the belt," the woman answered.

"What belt?" inquired Vicky.

"My Royal belt was stolen from me. Can I speak to the old man again?" she then asked.

"The royal belt – she is their queen then," thought Vicky.

"The old man showed us the belt. He knows where it is," continued the queen.

"This man must have been my grandfather, but he is dead," said Vicky. "I don't know anything about this belt. He's never told me about it."

"Then you must help us find it, child. Join us."

"I can't join you. I have no idea how to find this belt," protested Vicky, "I need to think."

"Do not be long, child. The door will not be open for you for much longer."

"Do you mean the stone?"

"No, the gate which you entered earlier."

"What else can you tell me about this door?" inquired Vicky.

"Nothing, child," answered the queen.

"Can you tell me how to control the stone?"

"No, child. It is the oracle's stone. Join us, and the one who heads the council will teach you."