Chapter one

Billy Batson was learning magic. This is because Billy felt he needed some sort of defense while he isn't Captain Marvel. His reasoning is that since Captain Marvel could use magic, so can Billy Batson.

This is the reason why Captain Marvel was writing a book of spells for his human half to learn from. See, the wisdom and knowledge given to Captain Marvel doesn't exactly reach Billy. Thus the book.

Said book is going to be organized by the easiest to the hardest. The first spell that is going into the book involved electricity and lightning. Solomon's wisdom said that since Captain Marvel is able to use Zeus' power, Billy would have an affinity to lightning.

Or at least that's the plan.

"Why do you need this again?" Zatara asked as he handed Captain Marvel some material that normal humans wouldn't identify.

"To make a book. And thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it sir," Captain Marvel grinned at the magician. The duo arrived at the Watchtower; Captain Marvel in perfect shape while Zatara was slightly singed.

"It's no problem Captain. In fact I found it as quite the experience. I feel honored that you came to me for help," Zatara smiled at the champion. In truth he did felt honor for being brought along. It wasn't every day that one goes on a quest for magical items. The places that they went to helped Zatara in finding materials that were previously thought impossible to get. It was also a way to get closer to the mighty mortal.

Captain Marvel was in a word, childish. Often times was called a man child. However this did nothing against his fighting powers, magical abilities, and sense of justice. If anything that child like innocence helps enhance these qualities. And sometimes that child like simplicity ended problems. Like actually talking and finding out any misunderstandings.

But other than this, not a lot of leaguers know Marvel's secret identity or private life. The man never really mentioned it, yet sometimes, it looked like he would say something only to cut himself off. However there have been a few slip ups that suggested something dark.

Zatara completely understood that Captain Marvel wanted to keep his two lives separate. Although some leaguers suspect that Marvel doesn't have a secret identity. He always has been and always will be. Others think that the reason why he acts they way he does is because he truly is a child in a sense. That Captain Marvel was brought into the world as he is and was only created recently. Those who think this also think the first day he showed up to the public was most likely his day of creation. Or whatever it would be called for making a giant man with the power of the gods.

Zatara is not one of these people.

"Oh really? You're honored?" Captain Marvel blushed. "I don't know what to say. Well, other than thank you."

"You are welcomed Captain Marvel," Zatara gave another smile at the man, "If you don't mind, but may I ask you something?"

"Yeah, shoot," Captain said as he put the materials into a magical container.

"Why are you making a book?" Zatara tilted his head slightly, quite curious.

Captain Marvel was hesitant, unsure if he could tell his fellow magician. Finally he decided to speak. "Well, it's more like a grimoire. But it's going to hold some lesser spell and whatnot. It's for... a friend."

Before Zatara could ask anymore, Captain Marvel went through a zeta-tube. Zatara only sighed. He turned around and was to walk to the men's room to freshen up, only to be stopped by Batman. Zatara had to stop himself from jumping in fight. He swore he could never get used to that.

"What was all that about?" Batman asked in his usual way.

"Ah Batman. Captain Marvel and I went to grab some magical items. Apparently he is planning on making a grimoire." Zatara informed the detective.