Chapter 1: Strike One

A/N: Hope you enjoy this short story (in three chapters) that picks up where Filming Flashbacks left off. Don't worry, it stands alone, so even if you have not read FF, this will still make sense to you. Thanks to Evelyn for the cover image!

TWO MONTHS AGO

"Sir, I want to ask your daughter to marry me and I want your blessing and permission to do so. I know our road has been rocky, but I love her more than I ever imagined I could love another person. I promise you that I will cherish her with all that I am. She'll never want for anything, and I'd lay down my life to keep her happy and safe."

He gives me a smile as he lines up his shot. Once he sends his ball to an enviable position down the fairway he looks levelly at me. "I know all that. I've known that since the first time I met you. You need to convince me that you aren't going to fall for your next beautiful costar." He slams his driver into the bag and steps aside to let me tee up.

Well fuck me upside down. This is not going how I planned it. I line up my ball and do my best to take a respectable swing. I slam my driver back in the bag and face him with my hands on my hips. "I don't know how to convince you. I'm not a cheater. Ask her. I've had plenty of opportunities before and after I met her and I've not blinked an eye at any of them. I have to trust her when she is filming with younger, better looking guys, and I do because I know I have her heart. And she knows she has mine. We've talked through how to manage our filming love scenes with others. Quite honestly, sir, she trusts me even if you don't. And I'd never do anything to betray that. I don't have any more words to give you, but if I ever cheat on her, I expect that you would hunt me down and kill me and I'd be fine with that because it would be no more that I deserve."

He grins at me, "Well first, I'd let Jesse beat the shit out of you, then I'd come along and kill you. Just so we're clear on this."

I nod, "Yes sir, we're crystal clear."

He reaches out a hand to me, "Well, son, welcome to the family."

I shake his hand and he pulls me in for a hug. "She's my baby. Don't fuck this up, Dornan."

I can't help but laugh at him, "She says that to me on a fairly regular basis."

As we climb in the golf cart to move toward the green I meet his eyes, "Thank you. I promise you that I will do right by her. She means more to me than anything."

He puts the cart into gear and we jolt forward, "I know. You better make it a hell of a proposal. You've made her wait long enough."

Proposal. I haven't thought much about that yet. It's a foregone conclusion with us. We're getting married. Of course we are. Asking her is merely a formality, right?

As if he could hear my thoughts, Don turned to me, "You get one shot to do this right with her, kid. Don't blow it. This is the story she'll tell her kids someday. Make it a good one."

*****

I thought this was when my life was supposed to get easier. My divorce is final, Dakota and I have never been happier or more in sync, and I'm picking up the ring at Tiffany's next week. I knew I got the design right when Melanie sobbed all over me. It was a great moment for both of us. I really wanted her involved since she knows Dakota's taste better than anyone. As we sat with the jeweler and I pulled out my Mom's diamond and described what I wanted, the jeweler sketched out a setting that came to life, literally, before our eyes. I was blinking back tears and Mel was blowing her nose and leaning on my shoulder, "Oh Jamie, this is perfect. And stunning. She'll love it." I handed over the diamond and a hefty deposit on the $30,000 Tiffany was charging me for the design, additional diamonds, and craftsmanship. Worth every damn penny. You'd think I'd be racing out of there, but I was thrilled when Mel helped me pick out a matching necklace and ear ring set for Dakota's wedding gift. My girl is worth all this and more. I look forward to spoiling her for a lifetime. And spoiling Dakota will be easy since she gets just as excited about a new carburetor for her old truck, or a surprise toy for Zep as she does about jewelry.