Chapter 3: The Charm

I am exhausted. I've toured six homes and none of them are what I want. My realtor is driving me to one more that he added to the schedule unexpectedly. "Jamie, this just came on the market today, so I added it to the list because it meets all of your criteria." He's nervous, I can tell. He senses my frustration and impatience. I didn't think it would be this hard.

I decided to establish a home base here in Belfast so I would have a place to bring the girls when they are with me, because I really want them to know my side of the family. Dakota and I will have a home in LA, and if needed, we can set up a place in New York. A place in Europe rounds us out nicely and gives us a private home to retreat to – no matter where we are.

When I first got home, Dad and Samina were thrilled to learn that I plan to propose to Dakota when she arrives, and even more thrilled to be able to witness it.

"Son, you know we could not be happier for you. And we are honored and delighted to be a part of it. But, have you thought about her family? She is very close to them and I worry that you might be stepping off on the wrong foot by doing this here rather than there."

I toss back the last of my after dinner cocktail. "I tried, Dad. They had a huge family gathering and I had the ring in my pocket. Trust me when I say it ended up not being the right time." I poured myself another drink. "I've talked to Melanie about this and she is perfectly fine. She just wants a video."

Samina raises her hand quickly. "Covered! I'll take care of that." She sips her drink. "So what's your plan?"

I sit down and cross one ankle over a knee. "I found a place today I want to buy to establish a home for us here." Samina immediately put both hands over her nose and mouth and I saw the tears well in her eyes. My Dad closed his eyes and leaned his head back with a sigh.

"You're buying a home here?" I can hear the hope in his voice and it makes me regret how much time I've lost with him.

"Yeah, Pop. I want the girls to know you and Samina, as well as Jess and Leisa. I want to come home, but not impose on you all the time." I throw up my hand before he can object, "I know, I know. But still, I want to spend more time here and I want Dakota and I to have a home base of our own, and one the girls recognize as their home too."

He tosses back his drink and pours another, turning his face away so I can't see the tears in his eyes. "We'll be happy to have you around whenever you can be here, son. You know that."

I smile, happy to please him for a change. "The house is 15 minutes from here. You'll be seeing a lot of us."

He and Samina grip hands and give each other a happy kiss and I realize how much this means to them.

"Anyway, I thought that I would take Dakota to the house to make sure she is good with it. I'd like for you guys to see it too. I thought that maybe I could have Jess and Leisa meet us all there and if Dakota likes it, I can propose to her there as the first of our home foundations, with you all to witness it."

Samina claps her hands as the tears roll down her face. "Oh Jamie, yes. That is so sweet. So wonderful. Oh my God, I can't wait. When???"

I laugh at her, "Tomorrow. I pick her up at 4 and the realtor is going to meet us at the house at 5. Will that work for you?"

Dad takes a swig, "We'll make it work. We'll be there with bells on and we'll bring your sisters. You just get your girl there."

*****

As the plane begins to descend into Belfast, my excitement at seeing Jamie escalates. We've talked daily and it's been easy and comfortable. We've had no more discussion about marriage or the future, and for now, that suits me. I really don't want him to propose out of obligation or guilt or anything other than a pure unadulterated desire to spend the rest of his life with me. For now, I'm happy to see him and reconnect with his family who I haven't seen in months.