Empowered Ladies

With quick and skillful movements, Kathy Ernest paints her eyelashes a smoky black. Leaning away from the mirror, her lips twist in concentration as she examines the lines framing the shape of her eyes. She does not notice the small hazel specks that shine in her eye color. As she fumbles for lipstick, the sunlight readjusts to highlight her dewy skin. Lips finally glossy, she twists them again and steps back to look at her handiwork. Placing her hands on her hips, she then tugs at her shirt. "Well," she says, "At least I look like a human now."

Kathy meets her friend Bianca for brunch, and after a hug and a kiss on the check, they order their food. Kathy orders from the 500 calories or less section. She noticed earlier her double-chin in training.

"You said you needed to talk. You said it was urgent." Bianca says. Kathy hesitates. Reaching across the empty table, Bianca touches her friend's arm. "I am worried."

Shifting in her seat, Kathy averts her eyes. Her embarrassment reddens her cheeks. "I don't know how to begin this so I will get right to it. I looked at my internet history and saw that someone was watching porn. I'm not sure who."

Bianca leans back in her chair, chuckling. "That's what you needed to talk through? You shouldn't worry about that"

"But, what I read and saw disturbed me." Kathy responds. "It unsettles me to think that my husband or my son is currently looking at that stuff."

The food arrives at the table. "Porn is art." Bianca explains. "If your son, Benny, is watching it, well, it can help educate him about sex. He is twelve. You got to start somewhere. If Peter is watching it on the other hand," she winks at Kathy, "then I think that you might just get your sex life back."

"But, one of the videos I saw," Kathy swallows to collect herself, as she cuts into her small, dry chicken breast, "I saw women being choked. I am not sure if I want that, you know?"

Bianca takes a small bite and tucks her food behind her cheek to speak. "I know. I get it. I truly do. When I was first introduced to porn, I was hesitant at first, disgusted even. But, once you embrace your arousal, it gets better. You start to enjoy it. I think it could help you."

Eyeing her friend, Kathy is struck at Bianca's beauty and confidence. The blue-eyed women uncrosses her slender tanned legs. Her small feet, squished in high heels, tap against the pavement. She is the portrait of an empowered woman.

"I trust you." Kathy admits. "I should just get used to it."

The check comes as Bianca smiles. "That's the spirit. It'll work out."

Kathy nods as she gives her credit card and signs the receipt. She still feels hungry.