The Day of the Past

Salmon Island is an island off the coast of Home Honey Island, which is also referred to, by nearly everyone within a ten mile radius, as The Mainland. Salmon Island, from above in a balloon or plane, is seen as a large fish. The plentiful salmon along the coast led to gathering fishermen and merchants to use as a trading post. People flocked from all over, causing the real natives of the island to be lost in the crowds of fishermen, merchants, and dreamers.
When a valuable resource, gold, was discovered, even more people flocked to the island and caused the Salmon Island Boom. This Boom came from even more sales on the island from the sales of gold, fish, and other commodities. The prices of products rose as gold almost became the currency of the island. Extreme importing and exporting made a small town evolve into one of the biggest cities in the Home Honey Island Jurisdiction.
At one point, in the time of gathering people  and mining, the government of the surrounding islands who resided on the Mainland saw that if the current rate of development on the island continued to evolve at the rate it is, the island would be completely destroyed and deserted with only a few natives that could survive with what was left in just three years. This government was extremely concerned about the ever-changing environment and caused an immediate mining ban to be placed on the island unless it was done by a native to the island. This caused the Great Depression of Salmon Island.
The Depression almost immediately resulted in nearly all merchants and fishermen as well as hopeful miners wanting to make it big to disappear from the island. What was left in that area is the remnants of the city called Vephia. It still had fishermen and merchants to trade, but the population plummeted to under 2/3 of what it previously was. The island was soon forgotten to the outside world and was only known to a few. Among those who knew of the island's potential was a man determined to renew the island. He was the owner of a boating company called Yeast Beast Boat Lines that he believed help him use the island to make his money and boost productivity. The port was built in roughly 5 months which started productivity on the island again and left the Island as a country-style place with strict regulations. He went out of his way to hire the best attendants to make his passengers as happy as they could be on a boat at sea.
One of these attendants that worked on the boats was a woman named Anne-Claire Ewing, who mainly went by the name, Mama Luigi. She brought her daughter, cats, and dog to the island to begin anew. A two story home was built with a stunning view of the sunset and access to a large field. When she had finished settling in, she began working for the boating line and often left her daughter at home for a few days at a time, but not alone.
When she moved there, she also moved with some friends of hers. Most of those friends had children who stayed with her and her daughter. They were all capable of being alone for days at a time and each child is capable of cooking basic things like pasta to some extremely advanced meals lost to time.

Today was two days before Mama Luigi was to set off on another boating trip for Yeast Beast Boat Lines and she was in the kitchen of her home watching the kids play out in the field. She could now see her daughter, Abby, and her friends, Ricky, Angelina, and Cade, out in the field. If she remembered correctly, the other two, Elise and Katy, should be farther back in the wooded area, which is called the Wide Woods. It extends over almost half the island and takes up most of the tail shaped part, and to leave that area, you'd need to pass the house because the forest rapidly ends into open fields. It used to take up much more than half the island, but deforestation and the production of homes and businesses led to rapid loss of trees. She looked through another window towards the bustling city of Vephia where you could just barely hear the activity going on there. She smiled and felt gratitude towards living out here in the fields.
What she was doing now was preparing lunch for the kids while they were out playing. She fell into the rhythmic pattern she often had when she did these kinds of things, and before she knew it, everything out and ready. Mama Luigi walked over to the door and slid it open.
As loud as she could, Mama Luigi called out, "Lunch is ready!" Abby looked over, nodded, and told the others. Cade ran off to the woods to get the others while Abby, Ricky, and Angelina ran to the house. The first to reach the door was Ricky. He was a boy around 5'2" tall, had dirty blonde hair, and could kill with his acting and art skills. He was followed by Angelina, who stood at the same height, now had her natural hair color (something in between of brown and black), and shone like a diamond in the sunlight. Mama Luigi's daughter, Abby, came in third with her fiery red hair flowing behind her. She was a little taller than Angelina and was someone that always got things done when they needed to be unless it interfered with her writing time. They all gathered around the table and took a seat. As they waited, the three began talking about other things.
Not long after, Cade came in with Elise and Katy. Cade was tall, standing at about 6'2", and now had blonde tips in his normally brown hair. Elise was just under his height at about half an inch shorter and had hair flowing down to just below her elbows. Katy was a girl around an inch taller than Abby and had a strong love for a show that she loved to watch, in fact, you could often find her talking about it. She had brown hair and wore a hat that had been given to her by her idol just before moving to the island. They took a seat, so Mama Luigi took the one that was left at the head of the table.
"Are we all ready to eat?" She asked the kids. They quickly responded with several ways to say yes. Mama Luigi grinned and the meal began. For today, Mama Luigi had prepared two baskets of fresh chicken tenders, caesar salad, what looked like 15 sandwiches of lettuce, tomato, turkey, and mayo, and freshly baked rolls to go around. While Mama Luigi chewed on a roll, Elise began to talk above the rest.
"Mama Luigi, I don't know how you do it." Elise said as she shook her head.
"What?" Mama Luigi asked.
"Well... you watch us for hours at a time, you go around the globe on a boat, you can deal with all the snotty passengers, and yet, you can still come here and wing making a meal and still have it taste absolutely perfect." Elise stared right at her. "How do you do it?"
Mama Luigi was a little red from not being used to hearing praise from the kids. "Well," she mumbled, flabbergasted. "It takes time, practice, and a lot of help from n-." Mama Luigi cut herself off. She looked away.
"A lot of help from..." Elise gestured for her to continue.
"Oh, never mind..." Mama Luigi trailed off and started rubbing her thumbs together. That was what she did when she was nervous.
"No, really," Elise was intrigued. "What helps you that starts with an en?" Mama Luigi looked over at Cade with a look.
"Go ahead," He said as he ate a chicken tendie. "If I know Elise, she won't stop until she gets an answer out of you."
Mama Luigi exhaled and looked down. "What helps me get through the day is my Nen." Elise looked kinda surprised. She had never heard the term.
"I'm not explaining this one," She shook her head. "Though I do know someone who does."
"Who?" Abby asked with a mouthful of a sandwich. "There's only so many people on the island that aren't in Vephia."
"She isn't on the island," Mama Luigi told her. "She's who taught me, and I'm pretty sure Katy and Cade too. We met her through Cade and she was willing to teach us all." Abby stood up and stared at Mama Luigi.
"Who, and why have I never known?" Abby interrogated. Mama Luigi shook her head and tried to calm Abby down.
"I was going to tell you, but I knew you'd do this."
Katy was looking irritated right now. "I thought we weren't supposed to talk about this unless we all agreed and got permission from her."
Abby jumper on that statement. "Who is her?" She was really going at it now.
Mama Luigi tried to calm Abby down with, "Come on, if you want, I can arrange for you to meet."
"I don't want to meet her, I want you to teach me on the island. Where even is this Her located?" Abby sat back down.
"She's on the Mainland, and I have a boat I'm on soon I can put you guys on." Mama Luigi got up.
"You're going to leave us alone in the city?" Angelina asked as she got up now too.
"No! Of course not!" Mama Luigi picked up her plate and began walking to the kitchen. "And besides, you'll have protection."
"Who?" Elise asked. Mama Luigi gestured to the table where Cade and Katy raised their hands.
"I'm a little rusty, but it'll be fine." Katy told them. "If we're all going, I need to pack and find her apartment address in my room, but I can probably get us there fine."
Abby looked irritated and intrigued at the same time. "When does this boat leave?"
"The day I do," Mama Luigi called from the kitchen. "I'm on that boat but I stay on it for the next round of people."
"Is there anyone here who objects to going?" Elise asked everyone. Nobody said a word. "Then we should pack as soon as we can."
"Wait, what about our parents, they're not just gonna let us leave the island!" Angelina exclaimed.
"Once we tell them why, they might," Katy told her. "Besides, it's only a few miles away from the shores of each island."
"Only a few miles. No big deal." Angelina got up and helped Mama Luigi with dishes.
"I'm gonna go pack." Abby told the group as she got up and went upstairs.
"Me too." Elise said and left for home. She was followed by Katy and Ricky doing the same thing. Cade gathered up more plates and went in to help Mama Luigi too.
"Do you regret saying anything?" He whispered to Mama Luigi.
"No, besides. She'd find out about Nen someday and want to learn it. Do you remember her?" Mama Luigi asked.
"Of course I do," Cade said. "I even remember her category." They finished and Cade walked out with Angelina to go pack. Mama Luigi walked up to the window and gazed out onto the crashing waves. Was this the right choice? She thought. Those kids are experienced enough that if necessary, they could easily pass a Hunter's Exam, but how would that affect them. Even if it's not the choice I should've made, there's no turning back now.