Mission To the Food

Thursday. Oh how I despised Thursday's. Thursday was the worst day of every week. Thursday was the day we had to go outside our gates. It was the day where I was in charge of not getting us killed. SO much pressure but hey... It is what it is. Normally I'd make sure everyone stays in but this day of the week was the only exception, we needed to get to the food bank. There was only one within walking distance of us and even then, it was far. Even though it was far, we had to go. I couldn't bare to see these kids starve. There were 3 of us who would go out now, the 3 oldest. Cin, Sabrina and I. We were the only one's who've been outside the gates since what happened and I wanted to keep it that way.

"Hurry up, I want to leave before the sun comes out." I shouted down the stairs. I went over to the door and picked up my over-worn shoes. They had a couple holes in them but they'd have to do considering they're my only pair. I stuck my shoe-strings into the sides, I never really cared to tie them.

"You don't think you should tie them?" said a whispering voice. I turned around to see my little brother, Tino.

"Shouldn't you be asleep, downstairs?" I replied with an eye-roll.

"I-I just wanted to say good luck and all..." He looked down. "I know how you get about food days."

"Yea well it has to be done." I shorty answered. He nodded knowingly and turned around, walking away from me.

"Good Luck, be safe."

"Always am." I reassured. I looked back down at my shoes. Maybe he's right, I should tie them...just in case.

"Cin hurryyyyy!" I heard Sabrina yell from behind her.

"Hey now, sorry I had to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom" She said with annoyance. "Sarah, what are you doing?"

I looked up at her, "M'tieing my shoes.." I said in a hushed manner. "What's up with Sabrina?" I questioned, tilting my head towards her. She was sitting in the kitchen, tracing the design of the wood on the table.

"Dunno. Just one of those days." she said finger-quoting her words.

I looked over at her, she had dark circles under her eyes which meant she didn't sleep much. Shit, I can't complain. I didn't sleep at all. How can you sleep knowing what danger we're putting ourselves in to get to the food bank.

"Anywho..." Cin says, bringing me back. "Since when do you tie your shoes?"

I shot her a death glare, "Since when do you let her get the bathroom first?"

"How can I stop her when she's been up all.."

"You guys know I can hear you, right?" Sabrina interrupted walking towards us. "Are y'all ready or what?" she asked.

"Yea, I think we're set." I answered standing up. "Hold on.." I said turning around.

I walked down the short hall and into the room on the right, this room was used for storage but it also held our weapons. I looked into the closet, we didn't have a huge selection but we managed. I grabbed 3 pocket knives and locked the closet. Hopefully we won't need these but just to be safe. I turned out of the room and locked the door. "Hopefully we won't need these." I said, handing them a knife. They nodded knowingly.

I started walking towards the back door, we never used the front because the only way out of the gates was towards the back of the house. I opened the door and the wind hit my face as soon as I did. The air smelt of rain, and grass. I looked up at the sky, thankfully it was still dark but not for long. "If you's would have taken any longer, we'd be fucked."