Prologue

It was a normal school day for Alejandro, boring, as usual. Until he noticed her. She stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the students that were conversing before class started. She was working on a drawing in her sketchbook, which she was most often doing. The motions of her hands as she drew all around the page kept him in a trance. But just as quickly as she had intrigued him, his attention was drawn away from her. Lolina's attention was also diverted as the bell rang and the teacher started the lesson for the day. Lolina put away her art supplies, which happened to only be her pencil and sketchbook at the time, and traded them for the essentials she needed for the class. When she looked up, the eyes of her boyfriend, Tony, met hers. She shot him a weak smile, hoping he would look away quickly. He smiled back and turned back to Mr.Adams. Her feelings towards Tony were mixed to say the least. They were dating and she liked him, of course. But he always made her feel as if she was never enough, like she could be prettier, funnier, and so much more.

Once again, Alejandro's eyes found Lolina drawing in the back of the class. He had learned her name yesterday from Tony. He recalled their conversation from yesterday. "Do you know that girl back there?" He bucked his head in her direction. "Yeah," "What's her name?" "Lolina, why?" Alejandro mugged him. "None of your business," "Actually it is my business, she's my girl," Tony said hesitantly, he didn't really like claiming her, especially not in front of a guy like Alejandro. "Ok," Alejandro then went back to doing the French work assigned. He truly felt bad for the girl, he had heard countless rumors about the girls that he had slept with and how he treated them. It almost angered him, he looked at her once more, taking note of her generally soft appearance, then thought back to Tony's ways. She really deserved better.

Lolina slowly made her way into Alejandro's mind, he now thought about her more often than not, even when he wasn't in her French class. He became infatuated with her curly hair and slim build, she seemed gentle and caring. It almost became routine for him to glance in her direction everyday. Today she wore a plain yellow sweatshirt, which highlighted every one of her features like no other. She actually looked up at him and smiled, to which he smiled back, a rare occurrence for him. Most would call him mean, keeping a rough exterior for the sake of him and his business. A sense of wonder filled her head at the boy who she had never seen, or really paid attention to before. He was attractive to say the least, she immediately felt guilty, remembering Tony. Though he wasn't the best boyfriend, he still deserved loyalty, even though it was just an honest thought. Her smile had made it official that he needed to talk to her.