Chapter 2

N I C O

The uneasy feeling followed him right back to his cabin that night.

Nico growled curses under his breath as he once again shifted himself under the bedsheets to find the cool side of his mattress. He made another attempt to close his eyes and just relax. It only took a few more minutes before he began overheating again, and the rate of his heartbeat quickened, and the darkness slowly began caving in and it was reaching and he couldn't breathe

Nico lurched up, reaching for his lamp and twisting the knob as quickly as possible. Light quickly spread throughout the cabin, lighting up the formerly darkened space. Nico let out a breath he didn't even know he was holding in.

So much for getting better, He thought bitterly.

Nico sighed, covering his face with his hands and running them through his hair. He struggled to slow his rapid breathing, but he managed.

Easy Nico, just like Will said. In and out. It's okay. It's been only a few months.

Still, it was kind of embarrassing to state. The son of Hades was afraid of the dark. His own domain. Especially what had happened in Tartarus...

Nico frowned and shook his head, remembering what Will had let him know about what he was feeling. He had called it PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder. Paired with his existing depression, it was basically a recipe for disaster.

But, he had been getting better. Slowly.

Still, this was the worst he's felt in weeks. Paranoia was attached to him like a shadow. He couldn't get the feeling of overwhelming trepidation out of his system.

And it all tied back to the figure in the woods.

Nico narrowed his eyes. Whatever it was, it was pretty shady (no pun intended). He wracked his brain for possible explanations. A shadow nymph didn't fit the description. Despite their name, they're playful, clever creatures with harmless umbrakinesis. Radiating fear didn't fit their criteria.

It did fit his own though.

It didn't make sense to Nico. Another child of Hades? He would've known, wouldn't he? Unless his father also broke the oath, but that didn't add up. He was the one who was the most pissed about the whole prophecy.

Or maybe a monster. Some monster they've never seen before. A witch possibly?

There was only one real way to find out for sure, he decided with a grim realization. And he couldn't do it alone.

"So basically," Cecil summed up tiredly. "We're going twelve AM monster hunting."

Surprisingly, getting Cecil was a lot easier than he thought it was, hence, the kid was already awake when he shadow traveled into the cabin (Nico was luckily able to prevent Cecil from shrieking loud enough to wake his cabin mates).

"Look, I hate the idea too," Nico assured him. "Still...it doesn't feel right to just, not do anything. Something's off."

"No shit," Cecil huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. He was tapping his foot more than usual. "You're in my cabin. In the morning. With my sleeping siblings. That's weird, Neeks."