The whole story

It really sucks being dead, especially when you work for the devil. You may wonder how I got myself into this situation. I'm not going to tell you and I never will. Anyways I'm River, River Legend and I am one of many apprentices that work for the devil. You may ask how did I die? Like I said before, I'm not gonna tell you and I never will.
"Stop standing around and get back to work!" One demon yells and whips my back.
"That's the third time today you've been standing around. What's going on with you today?" Vex asks me while I get back to work.
"I'm thinking about getting out of here and getting a glance of him." I tell Vex and he stares at me like he just died again.
"Your not talking about HIM are you?" Vex asks me with a shaky voice.
"Yea I am and I need your help Vex." I tell him and he stops what he's doing.
"You must be crazy if YOU think I'm going to help you!" Vex yells at me and I cover his mouth.
"Could you say that any louder man?" I tell him while he pulls my hand off his mouth.
"Yea I can. Do you want me to?" Vex looks at me and takes a deep breathe in.
Before he does I slap him across his face to catch him off guard.
"What the hell man! What did you do that for?!" Vex looks at me like he wants to kill me. Even though I'm already dead.
"To stop you from yelling my idea any louder!" I look at him and he looks away from me.
"Now are you gonna help me or not?" I ask him and he looks like he's gonna say no.
"You already know what I'm going to say." Vex looks back at me and has a look on his face that I've never seen.
"Let me guess: No?" I look down at my feet in disappointment.
"That's not what I was gonna say. But if that's what you think, then I'll be on my way." Vex tells me as he starts to walk away and I grab his arm.
"Really man? Now is not the time to joke around." I tell him and he laughs.
"It's never a good time to joke around and you know that." As he tells me a demon spots us.
"Get back to work or you'll be punished!" Vex and I go running back as I get whipped in the back for the fourth time today.

Chapter 2

So what's your plan River?" Vex asks me when we see each other again.
"I'm still thinking how we're gonna get past these demons. They watch our every move." I tell Vex and he starts to look around.
"What are you looking for?" I ask Vex but he doesn't respond at first.
"I'm looking for a way to get you out of here. Just give me a couple minutes and I'll find it." Vex tells me and I laugh.
"Dude we're dead remember? We have all the time in thi-" I stop because I can see a shadow that's not a demons nor a deceased.
"Earth to River. You there? What do you see?" Vex keeps asking me questions so I elbow him in the stomach.
"What the hell man?! Stop hitting me!" Vex yells at me right in my ear.
"I'll stop hitting you after you stop being an idiot." I tell him and he looks at me with a blank face.
"What do you mean by that?" Vex asks me and I just laugh.
"You wouldn't understand even if I told you." I tell him and he still has a blank face.
"Did you find a way out of here? Or are you still looking?" I ask Vex and he nods his head.
"Well? Where is it Vex?" He looks up and points to a wall that has a crack in it.
"It's risky, but if you can slip in there before the demons catch you. Then you'll be on your way to see what HE looks like." I look at Vex and I start to freak out.
"You really gonna do this or are you gonna back out?" Vex looks at me and has a worried face.
"To tell you the truth I'm not sure. Im afraid of what will happen if I get caught. I'll never see you again and who knows what's waiting for me if I do succeed." I tell Vex and puts his hand on my shoulder.
"Dude I'll be right behind you. So if we do get caught, we get caught together." I look at Vex and then look at the demon.
"On the count of three. We'll go for it." I tell Vex and he nods his head.
"Alright. One.... Two.... THREE!" we drop what we're doing and make a run for it.

Chapter 3

As soon as we make a break for it, I can hear footsteps right behind me. I don't look back because it might be a demon. When I look ahead I see a demon right in the way of the crack. I make a sharp turn behind a different wall. I notice that Vex isn't behind me or next to me.
"Shit! Where did he go?" I can't yell his name because I can see a demon when I look up.
Before I look around the corner there's a hand on my shoulder.
"River, don't freak out it's just me." I turn around to the unfamiliar voice. Before I turn all the way around and I black out.