Chapter 3

The man holding me down spun around, an angered look on his face. "Who's gonna make me, eh? Come out. Show yourself."

My attention turned back to the glowing eyed figure standing in the shadows. I watched as he stepped back, further darkening his appearance.

"I won't ask again. Let the girl go," the man commanded, his voice sending chills up my spine.

My attacker began laughing again, stepping forward. "I don't know who you think you are, kid, but this girl's mine, and I'm not leaving until she gives me what I want." I began shaking as he turned to me, grasping at my hands.

"Stop! Stop!" I begged, shoving him away. He glared at me, his fist bunching my shirt up at the collar. I clamped my eyes shut, wishing I could disappear.

"I won't... I'm going to have my way with you. I'm going to make you wish you never- HEY!"

My eyes shot open at the loud scream from the man. I gasped, watching as he hung in mid air, two green fists clamping his shirt.

"Do as I say. Leave," the glowing eyed man commanded once again, his green eyes flashing to red.

"No! I said I'm-"

I watched as the man was flung back, his back smashing through the brick wall at the other end of the alley. I screamed, my hands covering my mouth. He collapsed on the ground, his movements ceasing. My head snapped back to the man in the shadows, his eyes returning to a deep shade of green. He looked at me, sending chills over my body again.

I was speechless, my body frozen. We stared at eachother a moment, the faint sound of sirens echoing through the alley. Suddenly, he turned around, walking away.

"Wait!" I called, running to catch up with him. He didn't stop, his pace only increasing. "Wait please!" I called again, running now.

"Go home," he commanded, pausing at the end of the shadows, where the light met the dark.

"Who are you?" I asked, my hand reaching for his shoulder. He spun around, his back pressing against the wall.

"Go home. Now!" he roared.

I stepped closer, determined to figure out who this mysterious man was.

"Please... I just want to thank you. What's your name?" I begged, reaching for him again.

I was in front of him now, trying to make out his face through the dark. His eyes bore into mine, making me gasp when I realized who it was. The man I never thought I'd meet... The man I'd had a crush on for ages... The man I had admired for so many years.

"Maximum?" I whispered, my eyes widening. The sirens were closer now, probably only a few blocks away. He hesitated a moment, before backing away and taking off into a run. I watched as he rose from the ground, flying into the night.

The corners of my lips tugged up into a smile. The feelings I had were unreal... Maximum had just rescued me.

I sunk against the brick wall, the smile still present on my face as the police car pulled up.

-------------

"Yep, this was definitely Maximum's work... Who else could throw a 350 pound man into a brick wall!" Officer Dane proclaimed, observing the smashed wall.

"I told you before... I saw him. I touched him! It was him," I sighed, sitting on the hood of the police car.

"Well it's policy that I check out the scene ma'm, it's not that I didn't believe you."

"I understand officer," I breathed, still shaky from the experience I'd just had.

I watched as him and a few other officers continued to check out the scene until everything was cleared up and the man who attacked me sat in the back of one of the police cars.

"You're free to go, Miss," one officer explained a few moments later. I nodded, continuing on my walk home.

When I finally reached my apartment, I hurried to my window, looking out at the mountain that overlooked part of the city. I imagined Maximum up there, sitting all alone.

"Thank you," I whispered, the smile returning to my face.