Chapter 2

I continued my walk to work, enjoying the beautiful day while it still lasted. My peace was cut short however, as a voice rang out through the air.

"Hey Annie! Wait up!"

I spun around, putting on the best fake smile I could offer. It's not that I didn't like him. It was just that he made me uncomfortable. Very uncomfortable. "Oh hi Jack!" I cheerfully greeted, watching as he speed walked towards me.

He smiled his thousand dollar smile, slipping an arm tightly around me and pulling me into his side. "You look absolutely ravishing today," he devilishly complimented, his lips moving closer to mine.

"Thank you. You look nice too," I spun out of his grasp quickly, shaking his odd gesture off with a nervous laugh. I continued walking towards my building, the distance seeming to increase by the second.

In addition to reading to the children for a few hours everyday, I worked as one of the head editors for the New York Times. I loved writing almost as much as I did reading. My work had brought me to many places, including the big Apple, and I had met many people along the way. Unfortunately, not all of them were the nicest... And Jack Rider was one of those people. 

He was always showing off, trying to get me to go on dates, having flowers delivered to my office, everything. I had told him nicely many times that I wasn't interested, but he never listened. He greased his stark black hair in a stylish fashion, his jaw line jutting out. He had dark brown eyes, and his teeth were straight and white. He was always in a suit, no matter what. He was good looking, and just about every girl in New York had their eye on him. But not me, he just wasn't my type. That didn't stop him though, because what Jack Rider wanted, Jack Rider got, one way or another.

I had almost reached the door to the building, when suddenly I found myself back in his arms. "I was wondering if I could ask you something?" He smirked, staring at me with lustful eyes.

I shifted uncomfortably, swallowing the lump in my throat. "Yes?"

"You know, the Company party is tonight... I was thinking maybe we could go out to dinner before hand and then head there together?"

"Oh, that's really nice of you to ask but I don't think-"

"Great! I'll pick you up at say, six or so, and we can-"

"Jack, I'm sorry, but no. No thank you," I stated, moving his hands away from me. He stared at me a moment, before a loud laugh escaped his lips.

"Very funny, Annie, but really, is six ok?"

I shifted my gaze to my feet, biting my lip. "I mean it. I'm sorry but I'm not going to the party. I've got a few articles I need to have typed up by tomorrow, so I'm staying here late tonight to work. Thank you for the offer though. Maybe another time!" I smiled, walking past him and through the doors. I cringed as I heard his heavy footsteps behind me. 

"But this is a one time thing. I'm very busy, and I don't have time to wait around on plans like this!"

I breathed an impatient breath, quickly pressing the button to the elevator. "I'm sorry Jack. I'm very busy, and it's a nice offer, but no. I don't want to go!" I explained as nicely as possible, thanking the good lord when the doors finally opened. But that didn't stop him. No, he followed me in.

"I just don't see why-"

"I said no, Jack. I'm sorry. But for the last time, the answer is no."

He glared at me, an exasperated sigh following as he answered, "Fine. Fine then. Another time."

The doors opened to my office, and I gave him the most heartfelt smile I could muster as we parted ways. I entered my cubicle, setting down my bag on my desk, and collapsing in my chair, a sigh of relief falling past my lips moments later. This was going to be a long day.