Perplexia

• Dedicated to To my friend....who deserves to have her story told.

   I never liked to talk about what happened. It brought back too many painful memories that I preferred not to recall. But in the situation I was currently in, it seemed almost inevitable…almost.

“Honey, why don’t we make this easier on all of us and just answer the question? Then we can all go home and you won’t have to worry about us knockin’ on your door again, alright? Can you do that?”

 Patty Bickerson was an irritating lady in her early 40’s with the slightest hint of a southern accent. Most people would find her wonderful company since she’s charismatic and seems to lead the perfect lifestyle that every woman should obtain, but then again…I’m not most people.

                      I turned and looked at her with hooded eyes, Patty isn’t unattractive but she’s not gorgeous either. Overall she was presentable but if she was as close to your face as she was to me now, you’d see the flaws that showed she wasn’t as “perfect” as people made her out to be; her lipstick was way too bright for her skin color, her neon eye shadow colors never matched her plain dresses and her eyeliner was always smeared somehow. No, I wasn’t as big a fan of this woman as everyone else was, mostly because she was my therapist. I’m pretty sure she wasn’t a big fan of me either. I looked into her lifeless grey eyes and remained silent.

                            “Do you need me to repeat the question, Peyton? Or I can rephrase it just in case you didn’t quite understand.” I could tell she was growing impatient with me by the way her thin eyebrows drew together in irritation. Well, she wasn’t the only one losing her patience. “No need Mrs.Bickerson I understood you perfectly.”

          Her eyebrows rose in amusement “Ah, so it speaks.”

Yeah, I really do not like this woman. “So, what Is It then? Did she ever tell you anything that could hint to who might’ve killed her?”

          I flinched for a moment then quickly turned my face away from her choosing to remain impassive. She said it like it happened eons ago, but it was only 3 months ago that Brittaney, Sofia, and I were taken….Brittaney didn’t make it out.