Chapter Two

ii

ii.| Practice, Practice
__________________

Shit...shit.

"I am so sorry," I began to say, crouching down to quickly to pick up the shards of glass. I had been careless while learning to mix drinks, dropping a shot glass onto the floor and watching helplessly as it shattered....right in front of Jeffrey.

"Hey... hey no, don't be. We have plenty in the back." Jeffrey said quickly, gesturing to the back with a nod of his head, and he too began to pick up my failure.

"Well still, on the off chance you didn't have extra, I am sorry." I repeated with a sheepish, almost apologetic grin.

Jeffrey chuckled lightly, the sound hitting my ears and becoming my most favorite noise; it was contagious, as I found myself laughing along with the man. "I'm glad my embarrassment amuses you." I stood up, throwing the glass in the waste can, checking my hands to make sure they were free of cuts before turning to glance over in his direction.

"Should I try again or...." I trailed off, not really having a way to finish my question, so I simply waited.

Jeffrey shook his head, gently grabbing me by the arm and ushering me over to the nearest booth.

"Relax, sweetheart. You don't need to prove anything, you've already got the job. It just takes practice, lots and lots of practice to do it right." he explained as I sat down, and I soaked in every word.

As he continued to speak I took in his scent, fresh with a hint of Old Spice, his warm breath smelling of Spearmint Toothpaste as it dusted over my face whilst he spoke.

"Leia... Leia?" Jeffrey's voice snatched me out of my thoughts, pulling me back into the real world.

"I'm sorry?" I furrowed my brow in confusion, noticing the way the corner of his mouth twitched upwards to form a half smile.

"I said it's half passed four, you've been on your feet for a while. How's about we call it quits for the day, yeah?" he suggested as his eyes moved to the digital clock hanging from the wall.

I licked my lips, a light shade of pink creeping onto my cheeks as I nodded, pushing myself up from the booth.

"Thank you, for being so patient. And for taking time out of your day to train me." I spoke as the two of us stepped out onto the busy sidewalk, watching as he locked up. He threw me a kind smile, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"No problem, but there's no need to thank me. I've found it's a great way to get to know my employees." he replied casually, shoving his ring of keys into the front pocket of his denim jeans. "Opening night starts at seven tomorrow. If you can, try to be here by six to help prepare."

I nodded, agreeing to the schedule as I smile. "Sure thing. I'm heading that way," I pointed behind me, and Jeffrey looked to where I pointed, clearing his throat after the brief pause in conversation.

"Have a good night, Leia," Jeffrey spoke in almost a whisper before spinning around on his heels, heading in the opposite direction.