chapter 1

August 3, 2012

"Lani!"

"what?!"

"have you seen my keys?"

"where did you last leave it, dummy?"

"if i knew, i wouldn't be asking," Normani replied, rolling her eyes.

"asshat, get your ass in my car. imma take you to school since your dumbass forgot where you left your fucking keys."

"aye! stop with all that cursing. you know auntie didn't raise you to curse."

"yeah yeah, get out of the house."

Kehlani waited for Normani to get out of the house before she locked the door. she then got into her car and drove out of their driveway.

"you hid my keys, didn't you?"

"no?"

"you just wanted to take me to school so you could see that hot teacher."

Kehlani slapped Normani, who rubbed her arm. Normani had a grin on her face because she knew she was right. her sister had a crush on her chorus teacher.

"shut up, Mani."

"it's true. you know, you should grow some balls and ask her on a date."

"i doubt she's into girls."

"she is," Normani whispered, smirking as she got out of the car when Kehlani arrived.

Kehlani tried calling for Normani but she was already gone. she didn't know if her sister was messing with her or not but she decided to park her car and get out. she was going to ask the teacher out. she had stayed single ever since their dad died and didn't want to have a relationship with anyone. she was now 24 years old. straight out of college and has a crush on Normani's teacher.

"woah, Lani, what are you doing here?" one of Normani's friend questions.

she looked over to see Zendaya standing by a locker with Normani smirking. Kehlani rolled her eyes and continued to keep walking.

"get her, sis!" she hears Normani yells.

she instantly feels the butterflies in her stomach as she reaches the door. she raises her fist to knock but it's hovering in the air. her heart is beating faster than it should and she closed her eyes to see if that would help calm her nerves but it didn't. she turned to leave but a voice stopped her.

"what are you doing here?"

she turns back to face the woman she's crushing on. the woman is smiling softly at her but has confusion written in her eyes.

"i.. uhm.. i was wondering if you'd go on a date with me?"

"Kehlani, i'm flattered but i'm seeing someone."

"oh.." was all Kehlani said before turning around to leave.

she heard some chuckles before someone gripped her wrist. she turned around to see the teacher and was immediately pulled into a kiss.

"sorry, that was harsh but your sister put me up to that," she chuckled, as Kehlani glares at Normani, who smiles.

"that ass," Kehlani mumbled.

"how does tonight sound?"

"that sounds great. i'll pick you up at 7."

"don't be late," she replied, kissing Kehlani again.

"Tinashe?"

"yeah?"

"how long have you known?"