Chapter 2

I'm superficial.

I never talk to friends more than once, my only "talent" was forced upon me by my parents, and most relevant of all-
My only crush is based on a gorgeous appearance.

Even the fact that I like girls makes me unsure. By identifying as bisexual, I am constantly checking my validity.

Through Buzzfeed quizzes, mostly.

It's not like I can come out, either.
Mom and Dad are both surgeons, so most of the time I am left by myself to binge watch The Office and bake muffins.

Beverly's request was something I could hardly turn down.

After all, she practically peer-pressured me into doing it by following me outside.

In other words, I would have run if I had the chance.

Beverly folds her arms across her chest.

"I need to talk to you about something."

"Right," I blurt out. It looks like bluntness runs in the family.

"But first, take me to your house."

As I listen to the cream-smooth sound of her voice, I almost fail to process the last five words.

"...take me to your house."

              ××××××××××××××

It's supposed to be Saturday. This  means I drive to the Allison home, give my generous hour-long piano lesson, then leave. Quickly.

The air-conditioning of my car blows cooly on my sweating skin, making it easier to calm down.

Beverly sits next to me with her legs crossed, wordless.

Biting my lip, I turn on the radio.

I'm still superficial, but at least I know now that my only crush isn't based on looks alone.