Chapter 8: Monsters

WARNING

The following chapter has contents that may upset or offend some readers.

You blinked. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. You pinched your arm and asked yourself , Am I officially losing it?

   The text message was simple enough: Love, we need to talk. But there was one problem; the sender was from the recently deceased Arthur Kirkland.

   You thought back though, the news said that the only thing left in tact was the head and Arthur's landlady confirmed his identity so there was no way it was a double. Plus his brothers already had his... parts cremated; you attended his wake last week in London accompanied by the twins.

   However, Arthur put a lock on his phone and you doubted that any of his estranged brothers knew, and he didn't have a girlfriend (as far as you knew).

   It was a few minutes past two o'clock in the morning.

   As you tried to process just what on Earth was going on, your phone vibrated again with a second text.

   This is hard to believe, I know, especially after what happened. But I had a lead on the you-know-what and I'll explain everything once you're here.

   You bit on your quivering lip. It was starting to get ridiculously cold in your room.

   You needed answers, you needed them now. Confusion and curiosity overpowered your ability to think logically or feel the fear creeping under your skin.

   Where is 'here'? You asked him.

   You waited for less than three seconds before he answered: I'm in the hospital lobby.

   Taking another deep breath you decided on what to do and quickly texted a reply.

   I'll be there in ten.

   You swung your legs to the floor and glanced at the backpack Allen left by the bedside table. He packed you some nuts and homemade salad in case the food was crappy, but he also brought you a sweater and some sweatpants, along with a couple of things like a toothbrush and a sanitary napkin. Leave it to Allen to be crazy-prepared.

   As you slipped inside the sweater, your insides swirled. You had bad feeling about this, but your body was faster than your brain and you were soon out the door, not even wondering why no nurse has come to check up on you yet.

   The elevator door slid close and you stared at your phone. Arthur still hasn't replied. You thought about calling one of the twins, but if Arthur had to do something so extreme because of your supernatural stalker, you couldn't risk dragging more people down.

   You shoved the phone in the pocket of your sweatpants.

   The screen on the elevator slowly descended from fifteen to fourteen to twelve and so on. Staring at it in silence, you began to have doubts and you were finally able to think more clearly. Simply put, you let fear take hold of your head.

   "I'll just go back to my room" You said aloud, you didn't know why exactly you were talking to yourself like that, but if you were to guess, it was to prevent a panic attack.

   You opened your phone to ask Arthur if you could do the talking tomorrow, in daylight. However, the elevator opened.

   "What the..." You almost dropped your phone.

   Looking down at you with the most mysterious smile and striking blue eyes was none other than a blonde Alfred.

   "Good evening, or should I say good morning?" He winked.