Chapter One: The Unexpected

Ronaldo Reyes & Associates Office

BGC, Taguig City

       It is not usual for Selena Reyes to visit her father’s office. It’s just that she has a very important request to ask from his father about her mother’s upcoming birthday. Her father, Ronaldo Reyes, was not answering his phone that morning, so she decided to come to his office to ask him to have a speech dedicated to her mother, who is turning 45 next week. It would be better to ask him vis-as-vis. She thought to herself.

Almost nearing the office of her father, she heard her phone ringing. Looking at it, she realized that it was her mother who was calling. She chose not to answer it afraid that her mother will know of the surprise she is planning for her birthday. We’ll talk later, mom. I have some things to talk with Dad about.

“Good morning, Madame!” greeted the friendly guard at his father’s office. Oftentimes she wishes that all other guards are just like him. Justine is a great person though his occupation is that of a guard.

“Good morning to you, too, Justine. Is my father here already?”

“Yes, Ma’am, he has just arrived with Ma’am Gretchen.” She is her father’s private assistant. Wherever his father is, there is Gretchen. Selena envies her sometimes because his father spends most of his time with her than with his family.

“Good. I’ve got something to tell him. See you later, Justine.” He nodded and Selena excitedly entered her father’s office. As she walks, she saw drawings of his father’s projects. She saw scale models of different sizes. One scale model is her most favourite. It is called, “Amour”. The perfect curves of the building entrances her. Unfortunately, it was only a scale model for it was never constructed. She know not exactly the reason behind it and she knows that it will be a dream come true for his father if it were constructed.

Nearing his father’s private room, she heard voices. Familiar voices. Both, she knows very well.

“Ronaldo, you can’t kiss me like this in your office.” She heard kissing sounds and heavy breathing. What is happening in there?

“It’s early in the morning. No one comes here this early except me and you.” Another kiss.

“What if somebody just barge in and caught us?” Another kiss.

“No one will.”

“Ronaldo, no! Uh!!” And that’s it, Selena lost her control. She opened the door and saw his father together with his private assistant, Gretchen, in the most awkward position two person could be in. Gretchen’s uniform is almost ripped off exposing her bare shoulders. She was on top of her father’s table, while Ronaldo was on top of her. Gross.

“Father! What is the meaning of this?!” Selena shouted.

“Selena, my dear, i-it’s not what you think it is. Y-your father and I was just-“ Gretchen was silenced by Selena’s shout. “I KNOW WHAT I HEARD AND WHAT I SAW!”

“Selena, l-let me ex-explain.” Gretchen said once more.

“NO! I won’t listen to any explanation.” She is crying now, “How long”

“Selena..”

“I said how long have you been fooling me and my mother?!”

“Gretchen, there’s no use with that. I’ll just tell her the truth” Ronaldo said. “Selena –“

“Don’t touch me with your filthy hands! How long has this been?”

“Selena, I have been with Gretchen for 18 years now.”