Prologue

For the past two years, I had been terribly ill. I lay there in my bed, starring at the ceiling. I had been progressively getting worse and worse day by day. My dear brother in law Alexander had informed my dear sister Angelica and Eliza about my current condition.
Trust me, I would fight off the sickness better if I could.
All of a sudden I stop breathing. I stop moving. I stop hearing the outside world. Eventually, I stop seeing. I am consumed by a bright light. They say your life flashes before your eyes when it's your time to leave the world, but all I see is all the people I know and love; my dearest sisters, Angelica and Eliza, my brother who was there when I was taking my dying breath, Alexander, my one true love, Stephen Rensselaer, my mother and father, and my...son...oh my little sweetheart, I'm sorry to leave you at such a young age, in this case, I am absolutely helpless when it comes to this...I can no longer stay alive...take your time, and it will surely be enough, for I will see you on the other side...
"Peggy wake up, c'mon somebody dropped a quarter on the street, we gotta go get one of those chocolate bars, so we can get one of them golden tickets!"
I suddenly opened my eyes to see a young red-headed girl with magnificent emerald - green eyes. New information floods my brain as I am soaked into this new world. In seconds I realize this pudgy little girl's name is, Rena Baker. And in several seconds I realize that my name is Peggy Baker! I look around and see that we're both sitting in a tunnel next to some things that I think are called train tracks. My hands are smaller than I remember. My hair is curlier, longer, and darker too. My skin had darkened as well. A light tan color. And sooner, I realize that I'm no longer in my forties. I'm seventeen years old! This is the year 1964! This Rena girl is my sister!
"Uh...Peggy?" Rena poked me in the eye.
"Ow!" I gently rub my eye. "What was that for?"
"You weren't paying attention. Look, I found a quarter on the street" Rena held up the shiny silver coin. "If you still have the change, we can get a Willy Wonka chocolate bar or two! Maybe we'll find a golden ticket, and we can both go to the Factory together! All we need is one golden ticket!"
"You're still on about that golden ticket business?"
"Never too late for trying! Now come on, let's go!"

Rena grabbed me by the hand and we ran to the candy store, our brown overcoats flowing behind us. I could already tell this was going to be quite an adventure.