Chapter Fourteen: Ely

I was going to kill him. How could he kiss her? How could she kiss him back? All these annoying questions swirled around my head and all I could do was stare out at them through the broken blinds of my bedroom window, sucking face, forgetting I exist. How she could think he was right for her was beyond me. I couldn't help but wonder where they've been all day. Fucking in the back of his mustang in an Olive Garden parking lot after a fancy dinner, before catching a romantic movie where they made out in the back of the theatre the whole time?

     "Ely! Is your homework done?" Mom hollered up the stairs. I couldn't reply. Too deep in thought about what that slimy pizza jerk was doing to my big girl. Mom repeated my name over and over, still not receiving a reply, for I pondered the possibilities of his asking her to prom before I could.

     "When I talk to you, you answer, young man!" Mom scolded, yanking me from the window by my arm.

     "Sorry." I muttered.

     "What are you looking at anyway? I...oh." Mom looked out the window and her voice immediately mellowed down to a whisper. Her heart was clearly broken too. She'd been planning on buying Brei's prom dress as soon as I asked her, and she was going to take her for a whole spa day before the dance to get ready and have girl time or whatever. That was all probably ruined now.

     "It's done." I finally answered her previous question.

     "Oh, baby, I know this must be hard for you to accept, but..." I swear she had dark hair, but she was secretly a blonde.

     "I wasn't talking about her. I was talking about my homework." I corrected. I didn't like talking to Mom how I was. I sounded like I was going to kill her.

     "I'm so sorry." She exclaimed, taking me into a hug, it wasn't until then that I figured out how much taller I was than her. I rest my chin atop her head and hugged her back. She was a little woman, but Brei was littler. Brei was my little big girl. She was seriously only as tall as my shoulder, maybe even shorter, but that only made me love her more. Just the thought of her not being mine brought stinging tears to my eyes.

    "I'm gonna head to bed. School in the morning, you know?" I released my mother and turned away.

     "Are you okay?" She rest a hand on my shoulder. I was not about to cry in front of my mother.

     "Yeah, just have something in my eye. Goodnight." I wiped the tears from my face and patted her back, showing her the door.

     "Alright, Mr. Tough Guy. I'll see you in the morning. I'm just downstairs if you need me, okay?" Mom gave me a weak smile, stood up on her toes to kiss my cheek, and left me to sulk alone. I shut the door behind her and I dashed back to the window to see if they were giving one another hickeys yet, and they were gone. His car was gone and she was nowhere to be seen. What I didn't get was why were they making out in front of my house? Did they park in front of where I lived on purpose just to piss me off? I jerked my curtains closed, and my desktop caught my eye.

     "Why don't I just ask her?" I wondered aloud to myself, making my way to my desk and powering on the system, then opening the Instant Message widget. I had two new messages from Mrslautner976, whom I assumed was Hayley, and twenty-something new ones from Magicmike450. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I opened up a new conversation with Sabresux102.

Kombateer325: Hey.
Sabresux102: Hey.
Kombateer325: Hey.
Sabresux102: You said that already. What's up?
Kombateer325: Oh, nothing, just hanging, making out with the pizza guy in my friend's driveway. Oh no, that wasn't me, now was it?
Sabresux102: Let me explain.
Komabteer325: I'm listening, er, reading.
Sabresux102: I've been talking to Jake lately. And he picked me up from school today and took me on a date.
Kombateer325: In my driveway.
Sabresux102: No, dipstick. At the beach.
Kombateer325: Really? The same old beach everyone goes to daily? The same old beach you hate? The guy really knows how to plan a date.
Sabresux102: Yes he does. He made me a very romantic picnic at sunset. He had Mountain Dew, Pizza, Breadsticks, and tons of flowers.
Kombateer325: Cheap-ass.
Sabresux102: What is your problem?
Kombateer325: So what? You're going out now? Going to prom and riding off into the sunset in his mustang, after he pulls out of my driveway?
Sabresux102: You know as well as I do that I'd die if anyone knew I lived in the shack at the end of the block, asshole. Jake is the last one I need knowing that. Dana doesn't even know. So, yeah. I had him drop me at your fancy rich house and I walked back from there after he left. And yes, as a matter of fact, we are going out, and he did ask me to prom in the most romantic way. Jake cares about me and lets me live my life. Something you can't seem to figure out.