TWO

• • •

• • •

On Friday Leslie and I have a girl night at the local bar. After work, I hurried home to change. I was feeling better, still had the sniffles but better none the less.

"Going out tonight?" My mother asked from my doorway.

"Yep, we've had it scheduled for a while...is that alright?" I asked her setting out my outfit.

"You don't have to stop your life for me, sweetie. Go have fun, Simon and I will watch a movie," my mother smiled at me, "What are you wearing?"

"I was going to wear my overalls, with this sweater," I gestured towards a pair of wine corduroy overalls with a black long-sleeved sweater.

"I've always like those overalls. What shoes?"

"Umm," I dropped to my knees and pulled out my shoe bin from underneath the bed, "I hadn't thought about shoes, but I think these would work." I had found these vintage brown leather ankle boots that laced up the front at a local thrift shop in town.

"Looks like you've got an outfit. I hope you have fun." She looked over her shoulder when she heard Simon bark, "He's calling me, Oh what time will you be home?"

"Uh, that I do not know, but I won't stay out long."

"No, no stay out as long as you'd like. You haven't been out for a while."

"Are you sure mom?"

"Yes, go have fun."

The atmosphere in the bar was heavy and loud. The music blasted loudly in the back from half working speakers. The crowd was sparse, and I was glad that there weren't many people tonight. I never liked crowds. We sat at a table towards the back. Leslie came back with a few beers.

"It's so dead in here."

"I like it; I hate when there are too many people."

"I know, I know." She gestured wildly with her hand dismissing my statement. After all, she has heard it many times.

"I don't think I want to stay out late, my mom was eerily cool about it," I told Leslie drinking my beer. Wasn't my usual pick, but it'll do.

"What? Why?! You already said she was cool with it, Ingrid." Leslie spun to look at me so quickly I thought her neck was going to snap. Her blue eyes were as big as saucers. Her lips pulled into a tight grimace, and I realized that she was mad.