Chapter Four

Ding-dong! The white door creaked open.

Daniel's Dad was an uptight man, you could see that just by looking at his appearance; wrinkles creasing his forehead, thin glasses magnifying his blue eyes, his brown hair starting to turn gray, a white long sleeve shirt with a black tie around his neck.

"Oh, it's you." He paused. "Do you know what time it is, miss?" Daniel's father never really liked me.

"No... So much has happened in the last hour or so, it's just been a blur."

"So, you gave him the idea to tell me that gunmen came to the diner."

"It wasn't a lie, my sister... She was shot." He inspected me, truthful or liar?

"Daniel, your friend is here!" He yelled. Dan's footsteps came closer and closer to us until he emerged in the doorway, next to his aging father. Just one glance at me and Dan could see there was something wrong. He grabbed my cold hand and escorted me to his bedroom.  I plopped down next to him on his black, gray, and white bedding.

"She knew, Dan." I sniffled. "She knew she was going to die. David said it was my fault and Stella's and... I believe him."

He wrapped his arms around me and whispered, " Willow, what happened? Did he hurt you?" I said nothing. "Willow, if you don't tell me or anyone, the sadness will destroy you again." I opened my mouth to say something but all that came out was a sob. "Shhhhh. You'll be okay."  He rocked me back and forth like I was a child who just had a horrible nightmare. I clung to his tee-shirt for only God knows how long.

***********************

A chill ran down my spine, causing my eyelids to flutter open. I was laying in the middle of the snow covered road. Slowly, I pushed myself off the ground.

I was alone, except for my shadow dancing under the light from the street lamp. I watched, intrigued that it was moving without me. It stood still for a couple seconds, then it raised its finger, pointing towards the other side of the street. A black figure stood there. One foot in front of the other, the silhouette made its way towards me.

I couldn't run, I was frozen. Paralyzed even.

The shadow stepped into the light revealing a familiar face. Revealing those kind blue eyes, thin, clearly dyed black hair, and the stubble across his jawline. "Hello Willow."

"Dad."

"It has been awhile," he said softly.

"Indeed, it has... Where have you been all these years?"

He opened his mouth but the words of my mother came out, "Willow, when you don't know what to do, open your heart and follow it." He pulled something shiny out of his coat pocket. My locket. He chucked it towards the ground, the locket burst open, white smoke poured out of it.

Still frozen and unable to do anything the smoke circled around me, devouring me, then swallowing me whole. "Open your heart and follow it, Willow..."

Bang! My body jolted. "Sorry, had to pee," Daniel whispered. "You okay? You cried for about two hours." I glanced at his alarm clock, 2:56 glowed in the darkness.

"Yeah, I just had the weirdest dream, that's all."

He laid down next to me. "Want to tell me about it?"

"It's nothing really, I just saw my dad and he told me to open my..." The locket. It was still tucked underneath my shirt. I took it off from around my neck and placed my thumbs on the two sides of the hearts and tried to pry it open.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm just-" The locket popped open. Inside was a small folded up piece of paper. I unfolded it eagerly.

1538 Starry Drive, Ontario Canada.

"Daniel, I want to find my Dad."