Chapter 3

Chapter 3-

I opened my eyes at the sound of the buzzer. That was it. I couldn't change it. I felt so stupid.

I went back and took my seat, waiting to see if either Nikki or Deshi would win. I hung my head the whole time and probably looked like the saddest kid in the world setting up on that stage. But I couldn't help it. I made it so far and I was one of the final three. I studied so hard. I was so excited.

I knew the chances of me winning were little, considering how many kids make this across America. But it was nice to be able to believe that I could. I made the final three of the Regional Spelling Bee in the Bee Building built in Nevada. I made it farther than anybody else. But all of my hard work was wasted. I felt like such a disappointment to my parents, to my school, and even to myself.

I was too caught up in being depressed, and I missed the word after mine. I looked up to the podium and found Nikki standing there. The crowd was clapping. I heard a buzzer and looked back down at my lap.

Then it hit me. A buzzer! Nikki just lost. Nikki Atkins just lost! I raised up in my seat. I looked over at Deshi, who was setting in his seat, looking as normal as ever and didn't even look the least bit excited. Of course, it still wasn't over. Deshi still had to spell another word and get it right before he got to move on.

After Deshi had won, all three of us went back into the room where we were first brought to wait for our turn on the stage. All three of us were given little medals for making the final three. This was really neat. I didn't know that they gave medals to the final three.

I didn't feel much better after receiving the medal. I had still lost. But it made me feel somewhat better when I saw Nikki crying.

I didn't feel sorry for her. She deserved it. She was mean and selfish.

I wasn't for sure if I was going to give up spelling bee's. If I can't win Regionals, then why would I be able to win Nationals? But I was happy for Deshi. He seemed nice. I was just glad that Nikki Didn't win. I didn't want her to go to nationals. I didn't want her to win. I didn't want her to get all kinds of money and fame throughout her school forever.

I walked out of the room. I was hoping my parents were close by somewhere so I didn't have to search for them. Plus, I didn't want to look dumb because I had no clue where I was going. Deshi walked beside me. I acted like I didn't even notice he was there. It's not because I didn't want to talk to him, but I didn't know what to say. Besides, Deshi was older.

"You did really good. It's hard to make it even this far." I turned to look at Deshi. I hadn't heard him say a word the whole time he was in this building. He had a nice voice. It wasn't deep, but it wasn't like a voice that the boys had before they went through their 'changing phase', as my mom called it. I already knew about puberty, but my mom wasn't the type to talk about anything like that with. His voice sounded comforting.

My parents stood down the hall. My dad had his blue light-weight jacket hanging over his left arm. My mom stood by his side. They didn't have the look I thought they'd have on their faces. I figured they'd look angry and hurt. Instead, my dad looked as normal as he looked every day. My mom gave one of her warm, heart melting smiles when she saw me.

My dad was at least two feet taller than me. He slouched down to give me a hug once I reached them. My mom was only about an inch taller than me. She also gave me a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek as well.

"Let's go home!" my dad said cheerfully. They were disappointed. They had to be. It would be unnatural for them not to be. I just lost the Regional Spelling Bee. But yet their acting like they always would and had an amusing excitement in their attitudes.