.26

Chapter 26 || Saving Grace

Kehlani

" Wait, start over. " I said staring intently at Bryson. For the last 20 minutes we had been quietly discussing a situation that he has or thinks he has with Markea. I'm not too sure but from what I'm hearing her crazy ass husband went above and beyond and is trying to do some freak shit to her.

Now, granted, I've never really liked Markea but I have no choice but to put up with her. She's Harley's mother and Bryson's baby moms. No matter how hard I try, if I decided to try, there would be no possible way to exclude her from our lives. I wouldn't even think of doing something like that in the first place.

But, apparently she is in danger and Bryson seems the least bit of relaxed so I guess it must be something serious.

" Oh. My. God. Were you even listening to me? " he said once he stopped pacing the room. I sheepishly smiled, " I was but it's kinda hard to understand when you're speaking fast as hell. " I raised my eyebrows. He rolled his eyes before taking a deep breath.

" Okay. Last night I went out to go get the pizza, right? " he started off and I continuously nodded my head to show that I was following along. " When I got back in the car to come back home, I got a call from Markea. I answered but it wasn't Markea on the phone. "

* Bryson's Flashback *

" Man, what? " I picked up the phone after looking at the caller ID. I was tired of Markea calling me on some bullshit. She was always complaining about, ' when I'm gon' see my daughter ' and stuff. I've explained to her countless times I'm not carrying her back and forth all the time.

" Long time, no see. " a man's voice replied, a man's voice my ass knew all to well. " What the hell are you on my god damn phone for? " I furrowed my eyebrows. " I won't be for long. Look, I ain't got much to say but your old bitch been fuckin up. Either you come get her and we solved or she got bad things comin her way. "

I pulled the phone away from my ear and looked at it. Was he serious right now? I shook my head of all my thoughts before putting the phone on speaker.

" Aye—let me talk to her. " I heard shuffling in the background before he chuckled into the phone. " Say hi, bitch. It's Bryson. " it went silent on the other end.

" Say something bitch! You was tryin' to leave me and I bet he's exactly who yo' ass was tryin' to run to. So talk while you can. " on instinct I became pissed off. Not because I was mad at him but because I knew something was going on between them. There have been countless times where I've tried to talk to Markea about why she always looked like she was havin' a bad day and where her bruises were comin' from and for a while her story seemed believable. But now I knew exactly what the fuck was going on.

" Aye, watch yo' damn mouth when you talkin' to her. What the fu—"

" Bryson! Please come help me. This nigga is gonna fuckin' kill me, he has me tied up in the damn basement! " I heard Markea yell all of a sudden.
Then her voice began to sound choked up and I knew she was crying. " What you cryin' for now, huh? None of this would have happened if you did what you was told. " he raised his voice.

" Please—wait, I can't breathe—Malachi get off of me! " she yelled and the last thing I heard was a thud noise. My eyes widened as my mind began  to process what happened just then.
" Mala—Malachi what the fuck did you just do? " I pulled over, stopping the car. " Make yo' way over here and you'll find out. " and with that, the line went dead.

I felt like I had no choice, a person that was once close to my heart was hurt and in danger and she is the mother of my child. I don't know why but I felt like I had to go over there. Yes, I could potentially be putting myself in danger too but for her it was worth it.