Jail

As I combed my thick black hair, I noticed my phone still lying on my bed. Switching it back on with one hand, I saw that Julie had tried calling me eight times. I placed the comb back on the dresser, grabbed my jacket off the floor and opened the door. "Ready!" I yelled and headed for the front door. My father was already waiting outside the house, wearing his shoes. "Jeez, dad," I muttered as I hastily put my shoes on and called Julie at the same time.

"APRIL!" She picked up on the second ring.

"Hello to you too, Julie!" I said sarcastically.

"You don't hang up and switch your phone off when you don't want to talk to the person, you IDIOT!" I held the phone away from my ear.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm sorry. It's just it was a sensitive topic, still is rather. We're just going to the station house," I apologized as I followed my father to his old pickup truck.

"We?" Julie asked confused.

"Me and Dad."

My father looked sideways at me and mouthed, "Julie?" I nodded as I got in.

"You mean, Dad and I," she pointed out.

"Shut up. And bye. I have to go."

"Alright fine. I'll come visit you later. I love you," she said.

"Me too, Julie," I smiled and hung up. At least I had my best friend to get through this.

I instinctively reached for the radio. "The driver gets to pick and that is me."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Okay, driver. What is your pick?"

"Nothing. Don't touch it." He didn't take his eyes off the road. I groaned. Nothing was worse than his old songs. Plus, this was going to be a long ride as I lived away from the station house. "I want to talk to my April."

"That is so cheesy!" I gagged.

"We haven't spoken in a year. Didn't you miss me at all?" He asked in disbelief.

I suddenly felt bitter. I had tried to speak to him, he just hadn't responded. There was a pause before I replied, "Of course I did. You said...that stuff to me, which was the only thing I saw in my dreams for weeks. That counts as missing you, doesn't it?" My father remained quiet. He probably had nothing to say besides 'sorry'. "He was a charming young man, persuading you to believe him." I continued, not bothering to notice his little flinch. "Was? I'm sorry, I meant is. It's amazing how parents believe things that aren't true. I-"

"Enough, April." His voice had a dangerous edge to it. "I'm sorry. I know that nothing I can do will make up for this," his voice softened. "But please understand. Please..forgive your father."

"I have forgiven you. In fact, I forgave you the day you chucked me out of the house. I just haven't forgotten it."

"And I had forgotten just how sarcastic and irritating you were." I smirked at his reply. It was good to have my father back; rather my best friend.

He pulled up at the station house. He cleared his throat. "We're here." I gulped and nodded, stepping out of the car. I followed him to the building, which looked old. The blue paint was almost white, and the sign was swaying with the wind. Even though the building was almost falling apart, there were a lot of people around. Cops, along with normal citizens and minor criminals.

Upon walking inside, we noted the faint smell of urine. I scrunched my nose in disgust and saw my father doing the same. "Are you here for bail?" Someone asked.

My father snapped out his reverie and answered, "No, signing some papers."

The cop nodded. "Ah yes. Right here, Mr. Rivers." I arched an eyebrow.

"You know him?" I whispered.

"Well, I saw him with James yesterday."

"Oh." He gestured for us to follow him. We entered a different room and that's where I saw James. I breathed in sharply. I could feel my father turn stiff beside me. He was behind bars, his back to us. He was sitting on the bed, his head in his hands. His black hair curled around his fingers. I suddenly flashed back to the time when I was around three. I had got a hold of his hair and had cut it. My mother had punished me by not giving me desert for a month. I thought it had been funny, but now I just felt queasy.

The cop told us to sit while he got the file. I pulled the chair back, which scraped noisily on the floor. James lifted his head. When he turned around, I could see pure hatred in his eyes. He started to walk towards me then stopped. I was suddenly glad that there were bars between us. I gulped involuntarily. The corners of his mouth curled in disgust and he glared at the both of us. In a cool, even tone, which surprised me, he said, "Well, well. Look who it is. Here to bail me out because you're feeling bad?" His arrogance annoyed me.

"April. Don't." My father commanded under his breath, his nostrils flaring. I ignored him.

"No, James. We are here to confirm your ten years worth of jail time." A flash of anger passed his face before he regained his composure. Then he smiled smugly. But I could tell he was surprised. He had actually believed we would bail him out. What a jerk.

Before he could reply, a woman stumbled in, handcuffed; a cop behind her. Her hair was a mess as if she had been woken from her sleep and dragged here. I took in her features and I felt numb all over. I could see James turning pale. My father gasped.

"Julie?"