Chapter 2 - La Primavera

*~*~*~*~*

"Spring has arrived with joy
Welcomed by the birds with happy songs,
And the brooks, amidst gentle breezes,
Murmur sweetly as they flow.
...
And in the pleasant, blossom-filled meadow,
To the gentle murmur of leaves and plants[.]"

*~*~*~*~*

A young Len (around the age of seven) sat at the window sill in the piano room with the windows opened, observing the scenery outside; although, a better description would be day-dreaming. The peaceful melody created by the birds and the sunlight caressing his cheeks seemed to lull him to sleep. If he were to be in a hammock, the soft breeze would have rocked him gently to the world of dreams – or be sent to Wonderland to meet Alice. That was, until he heard a foreign voice singing in a language that he couldn't decipher.

Although sleep called to him to stay, his curiosity couldn't help but drag him to the source. As if he was tied by a mysterious string or a certain force of attraction was pulling him to gravitate to the central object, he certainly had no control over his feet at that moment.

The closer he got, the clearer the pronunciations of the words were. Each syllable could be easily distinguished; however, the words were definitely not of his native language. What language could it be, exactly? Surely not English and not French.

Machi hazure no chiisana minato
Hitori tatazumu shoujo

Right there, in front of a man-made pond in his backyard, stood a blonde around his age staring deeply into the water's surface. Was she looking at her reflection? Or was she looking at something else?

She crouched down, still staring deeply into the pond and her hands on her knees. She began tapping the surface of the water in beat to her song.

Kono umi ni mukashi kara aru
Hisokana ii tsutae

The young Len cautiously approached the singer before him, making sure each step he made was inaudible so as to not startle the girl. The thought as to why she was in his family's property nagged a part of him, but it was outweighed by his fascination. He watched as she tucked a strand of her golden hair behind her ear.

"Negai wo kaita youhishi wo
Kobin ni irete
Umi ni nagaseba itsu no hika
Omoi wa minoru deshou"

The blonde cupped her hands together and submerged them into the water. She retrieved her once empty hand and obtained a handful of the pond water, bringing it close to her face only to observe it. The boy thought to himself, If only I could see her face, I would know a bit of what she's thinking...

Nagarete iku GARASU no kobin
Negai wo kometa MESSEEJI
Suiheisen no kanata ni
Shizuka ni kieteku

Her voice grew to a forte at this part and then transitioned to a mezzo piano. The only two words he was able to take out of the whole verse were "glass" and "message", although very roughly due to her enunciation. As his life was immersed in music, he could confidently say that her dynamics were spot on. Not just that, but she didn't lack the key component in any musical piece: emotion. It felt like he was being impaled with her words. It wasn't like an icicle spear, whatsoever, but a ray of light or even just water. It expanded within him and drew any thought of his surroundings away from him.

Kimi wa itsumo watashi no tame ni
Nandemo shite kureta no ni

Watashi wa itsumo wagamama bakari
Kimi wo komarase teta