Us (a Sheo fanfic) Chapter 1

SHAI POV

"Thank you for auditioning. We will call you if you got the part."

I hear Neil's exhausted voice say. I feel like this is the only thing I've been hearing for the past few months. When I was cast to play Tris in Divergent, I had no idea how hard it would be to find my co-star, Four. I watch the man that was auditioning walk to the door, and leave. I sit at a table with Neil and Veronica, the viewing table. When I'm sure the man is gone, I break the silence.

"Definitely not that guy." I run my hands through my hair. I swear these guys auditioning are getting worse and worse everyday. Neil, currently sitting next to me, puts his hand on my shoulder.

"You know," he says, his eyes holding mine, "one day you're going to have to accept one of these guys. We will have to eventually pick a Four." I nod, keeping his stare.

"I will when I find the right guy. I'm not going to pick a Four until I'm sure he's right." Neil nods, removing his hand from my shoulder.

"Okay, Shai. I trust you. Just try and find him soon, Okay?" I nod in response, but don't say anything. I'm not going to do a huge, block-buster movie with a man that I have no chemistry with. And, I'm not going to let anyone that is less than Four's personality be him, either. He has to be strong and masculine, yet also mysterious and sensitive. It's a hard personality to find, but I will find it. I will. I want this movie to make Divergent fans proud, and I want it to be just like fans and Veronica imagined. I won't stop until I find the right Four.

"So I guess this means I should send in the next audition?" Neil asks. I nod. I've done around ten auditions today, all with terrible actors. Hopefully, this audition will bring me relief. I smooth my hair back as Neil uses the phone on the table to call in the next guy.

"Next audition in the screening room, please." I see the door creak open and a tall, handsome man walks in. He has brown hair and brown eyes, and a dark-olive skin color. Something about him is so refined, so manly. Just him walking into a room makes a statement on its own. He stands in front of the table, his hands folded politely in front of him.

"Hello, my name is Theo James." A shiver runs through me when I hear his deep English accent. He truly is charming. Everyone stares at him, not saying a word. I take it upon myself to be the first to speak.

"Hello," I say, getting out of my chair and walking to the other side of he table, where he stands. "My name is Shailene Woodley." I extend my hand and he extends his hand, creating a polite handshake.

"Nice to meet you, Shailene." He stares at me, looking fascinated. I nod, wiping my sweaty palms on my pants.

"Oh! We should probably start the audition." I mutter, pointing to the side of the room with the green screen. He nods, but I can tell he's holding back a laugh. I guess my embarrassment is somewhat amusing. We walk over to the section of the room with the green screen, for auditions and screen tests. He picks up a script, and reads through it. As he turns to the second page, his face gets red.

"Is this in the audition?" He holds the script up to me while pointing at a stanza of words.

*Long and romantic kiss*

My face turns hot.

"Yes, is that a problem?" I retort, anger running through my veins.

"No," he mutters, a smile spreading across his face. "I just didn't think that I'd get to kiss a pretty girl at the first audition." I fold my arms across my chest. If he thinks a kissing scene is funny, then maybe he isn't right for this role. He must notice my anger, because his face softens.
"Hey," he murmurs, touching my arm. "I was just kidding." He smiles at me, and I suddenly forget my earlier anger. Maybe he is a little immature, but he's sweet. And not to mention, quite handsome. Neil's voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Hey, can we please get on with the audition?" I nod to Neil, and cue the lights to go down. The camera starts recording our screen test. Usually I would look at the screens by the camera with our lines, but by now I have them memorized.

"Can I ask you something?" I murmur, looking at Theo. He looks back at me, smiling shyly.

"Sure." I stare at my hands, then my eyes dart back up to him.

"What's your tattoo?"

"Do you want to see it?" I half-nod half-shrug in response. He hesitates, looking at the screen with our lines. It currently says for Four to take his shirt off. He stands up, and whips his tuxedo jacket on the ground. Then, he pulls his white button-up shirt over his head, and turns his back to me. Even though he obviously doesn't have Four's tattoos, it's not hard for me to act awed. His back is slim and muscular, beautiful. I walk closer to him, and run my hand down his spine.

"It's amazing. Why do you have all the factions?" Theo turns around, now facing me. There is little room between us.

"I don't want to be just one thing. I can't. I want to be brave, and selfless, and smart, and kind. Although I'm still working on kind." I assume we will end there, and skip the kiss, but we don't. Theo leans forward, grabs my waist, and kisses me. He catches me off-guard at first, but then I grab his face with my hands and kiss him back. I run my hands through his hair, and he kisses me harder. For a second, I forget everything. I forget all my stress. I forget all my problems. I forget that we are at an audition. Feeling embarrassed, I quickly pull away from him, even though I don't want to. I tuck a piece of stray hair behind my ear and turn to him.

"Uh, good job." I murmur, not looking at him.

"You too." He responds, his voice low and even. I sneak a look at him as I return to my seat at the table and see his face is red. He's embarrassed, too. He stands in front of the table, and nods to Neil and Veronica.

"Thank you for the opportunity to audition." He turns around, and walks out the door. Everyone is silent for a moment, then Neil slams his palms on the table excitedly.

"I think we found our Four."