Not the fucking same.

Depression, sadness, emptiness and darkness. These are not the fucking same, they are familiar but much different.
I have depression, I feel depressed. Those are two different things.
I suffer from lack sadness, I feel sad. Those aren't the same at all.
The depression and sadness is that depression comes hard, strong, unexpectedly and without any reasons. While sadness is a feeling that passes by a few minutes/hours.
Sadness is a reason activated feeling, while depression is a non-existent reason that keeps breaking the fuck out of your poor heart. When you're sad, if someone asked you what happened you can answer, while depression can make you look like a mentally retarded person because you cant answer than simple fucking question.
Depression kills and crushes your breath, makes you feel un-comfortable in your own life, own decisions, own house and even in your own skin.
Depression never goes away, it could be low activated for a while, but, as soon as something makes you feel anything but happy, it kicks you right in the ass and kills your mind temporarily.
They say it'll be easy, it will pass like no time. Have some rest, you'll feel better. Well, if I learned something from depression, its that all of the excuses are lies, and nothing will ever help in depression. Its either you fight, or be killed.