Chapter 6

Lorne's POV

I walked through the courtyard with Felicity as she mindlessly chattered on. She's the Beta of the pack, as I found out, and has a tendency to say whatever's on her mind at the moment. I looked over at her shyly, opening my mouth to speak. "U-um..."

"Hmm?" She smiled at me.

"W-who... Who's child was that? The small child that came to see me? Was it... Rogue's?"

Felicity laughed and shook her head. "No. Lyn is Owen's child."

"Who's Owen?"

"He's the Luna of an actual pack. He became friends with us when he was pregnant with Lyn, and stayed with us for a few days. His mate, Alistair, knocked him up again, so he asked us to take care of Lyn while he has the child. Did you know that Owen is actually Rogue's first lov-"

Felicity cut herself off, realizing who she was talking to. I didn't say anything, jealousy swelling in my chest. So that's why he didn't accept me. He loves someone else. Then, why hasn't he rejected me? Can't he just get it over with? Spare me the hope of thinking he might love me?

I sighed, igniting Felicity's worry. "Something wrong? Is it too hot? Too cold? Too bright? Are you hungry?"

I shook my head, startled by the barrage of questions. Felicity seemed to notice my confusion, and laughed, ruffling my hair. She continued to chatter on, and I listened quietly, smiling every once in a while.

Felicity was a great Beta. Hard-working, lovable, kind, a great leader, funny. But, sometimes, she can be a bit much. I think even she realizes it, and apologizes before going right back to how she was before. It could get a little troublesome at times, but it was what made her unique.

The sound of footsteps pulled me from my thoughts, and I stiffened when I smelled the sweet scent of my mate. I looked down as Felicity bowed in respect, Rogue being the Alpha of her pack. Rogue came over to me, and I flinched, backing up only to trip over my feet and fall backwards.

I heard Felicity gasp, and saw Rogue hold out his hand. "Here, give me your-"

"No!"

I put my arms in front of my face, hoping to keep from touching him. "Please... Don't touch me."

Felicity came over, offering her hand that I gladly accepted. It seemed rude, but I didn't want to think I had a chance if Rogue doesn't even accept me now. He didn't even smell my scent when we first met! How is that supposed to make me think he wants to be my mate?! It doesn't. And that's what hurts.

I didn't have high hopes for my mate, considering I'd always been told I'd be bred by the Alpha, but I'd hoped to at least have one chance to meet them, and feel the sparks. I had thought we'd both feel them, even if it was before he rejected me, that way we'd have some sort of connection. It might have even stopped them from rejecting me.

But now, my mate loves another, and doesn't even consider me a mate. I looked at Felicity as we walked away from Rogue. Maybe... Maybe I should leave? I... I don't want him to reject me. If I leave, he won't get the chance. Even if we're not together, I can still cling to that connection, and imagine what it would be like if he accepted me. Maybe-

"Lorne!"

I turned, my body freezing as my mate grabbed my shoulders. He looked me dead in the eye, his dark irises burning through me. His voice was low as he spoke. "I need to talk to you. Now."