Chapter 10

Rogue's POV

I saw red as I stared at the mark of someone else on my mate. Lorne was stiff, realization and fear in his eyes. The doctor cleared his throat, speaking up. "If I may, this has something to do with your being found in our borders, yes?"

Lorne looked at me carefully before nodding. "Yes... It's true."

He sat down, taking deep breaths before talking. "My Alpha... His mate was killed on his order. He hated how whiny and rude she was, just because she was to be Luna. So, after she died, he chose me to carry his pups."

A hand shot out, keeping me in my seat. The doctor shook his head and gestured for Lorne to continue. He nodded. "I... Since I'm an Omega, I had no right to refuse, and I wasn't going to whine or beg. They trained me. Had me take care of the pups to practice for when I had the Alpha's, showed me how to answer and reply, to beg.

"But, he wouldn't take me. It was his policy and prideful belief of waiting for consent. Instead of agreeing, I used it to refuse. But, he got angry. They began to beat me into acceptance, and he even marked me to prove the point that I belonged to him. In the end, I did manage to get away. That's how I ended up here."

We were silent, taking in the information. How could an Alpha do that to his mate? To his pack? To Lorne? "... I see. I understand why you don't sense the bond, Alpha."

I looked up. "Lorne's wolf knows he hasn't mated anyone yet, and still sees you as his mate. Your wolf, however, senses the mark of another, and is trying to ignore the bond because he thinks Lorne belongs to someone else."

"How do I get him to accept that Lorne hasn't been mated?"

"You have to get the placer of the mark to remove it."

Lorne paled and swallowed. "We have to..."

"Yes, you'll have to go to your old pack and confront the Alpha."

---

Lorne clutched his knees to his chest, watching as Lyn and a few other pups rolled around, giggling and laughing. I leaned against the back of the pack house, sighing when a gentle breeze blew by.

We hadn't said anything about what the doctor had said yesterday, and I was still anxious about it. I desperately want to have Lorne, but to do that he has to go back to a horrible nightmare. I can't put him through that. If he goes, I want it to be because he wants to go, not because I want him to. And definitely not because he's doing it for me. This is his decision.

Still, I didn't think it would be easy, even if he agreed. I'd heard of people removing their marks, but I also heard it was a painful experience. Because it didn't happen often, I didn't have a clear idea of what would happen to Lorne. The doctor seemed to, though, and reassured me that it wasn't as bad as it might seem.

"Hey, Rogue..." I turned, looking over at Lorne.

"Hmm?"

He swallowed. "Um... Will I... Do I have to see my old pack again?"

I smiled. "Not if you don't want to."

"But what about you?"

"What about me? You'll still be my mate."

Lorne blushed, reaching out and scooping Lyn into his arms. He cradled the two-year-old, avoiding my gaze. Finally, he nodded. "... Okay... I'll... I'll go."