new kid - 01

{🌿}

No.

It really couldn't have been a more uncomfortable morning for Dan. His eyes were a mix of colors and images though they were shut. It was quite remarkable, really. How eyes can see light and hues despite how dark it is. How an image can be burned into your vision even though you try your hardest to shut your eyes as tightly as possible. It's quite remarkable indeed.

However, Dan sought everything but the light. Though the other students had taken the small opportunity to chat amongst one another, Dan didn't. He couldn't. He barely had enough energy to keep his posture up in his seat. You see, Dan wasn't really the type of person to go to bed at curfew or pay attention much during lesson. He only cared for what he found interesting. So, he stayed up all night browsing the internet or watching television. His two favorite things.

While the other people in his class talked and laughed, ran around and threw items, Dan was using this golden opportunity to catch up on sleep. Mr. Weller wasn't really the type to show up late to school on any occasion. He even came to work when he was ill. But this time was different. He hadn't come to school at the regular time he should and everyone in Dan's class took notice. They had grouped with their friends and drifted into a rambunctious atmosphere. Not Dan. Definitely not him. He was too tired.

It was as if Mr. Sandman himself was swaddling Dan in his arms, rocking him back and forth. The loud noises and scenery of his classroom dulled the more he let his brain rest. Dan's body began to float and the classroom darkened. Dan's head hit the desk with a thud and he was out cold.

That was until the cracking of the classroom door disrupted the quiet chaos in the room. Immediately, order began to resume. Everyone darted back to their seats, people put their school uniforms back on correctly, and any conversations that were happening ceased all in the snap of a finger. Dan lifted his head up and tried to rid his mind of any fuzziness. Everyone's eyes trailed to the door. Watching.

Mr. Weller came in holding his giant binder and advent calendar like he normally does. However, the door didn't shut behind him. Instead, another hand reached out to hold the door as they entered. It was dead quiet in the room. A student followed Mr. Weller into the room. Immediately, Dan woke up completely, taking notice of the boy's features.

He was different. He had very pale skin. Paler than what most students at Dan's school had. The student also had black hair that covered most of his forehead. Dan couldn't recognize him and by the looks of it, no one else could either. He must be new. Everyone in the classroom couldn't keep their eyes off of him as he made his way with the teacher to the front of the classroom. He then froze still next to Mr. Weller when he was in front of the white board. The teacher looked at him and then looked back at the class and cleared his throat.

"My apologies everyone. I was running a bit late as I had some business to work out with this student. He will be joining our home room class so please be respectful."

The room was still quiet, but emotion could be read on people's faces. It had been three days since the beginning of sophomore year. Why had he come this late and not just on the first day of school? Mr. Weller placed his hand the kid's shoulder and looked at him. "Would you like to introduce yourself young man?"

The boy inhaled sharply and turned to look at everyone, clearly nervous about the situation. Dan couldn't move his eyes from him. He wanted to know what kind of person he was. The student hesitated before saying, "Hello. I'm Phil. It's nice to be here." Dan's body ceased to tense and he went back to examining the classroom. Phil.

"Well Phil, it's nice to have you here too. Why don't you take a seat next to Daniel over there?", Mr. Weller said.

Dan shot his head up. The space next to him had always been empty as most people sat with their friends. Nobody had even thought of sitting next to him. Dan also didn't mind. Socializing wasn't a big priority of his.

Phil nodded and tried his best to walk over to the desk without bringing more attention to himself. Dan crossed his legs and kept his eyes on his journal he had been writing blurbs in. He could hear Phil plop his backpack on the floor and take out his stuff. Dan and him were in the farthest corner of the classroom. They so far away that they could even make small talk undetected. But they didn't. They both sat in silence.

Mr. Weller clapped his hands together twice to get the attention of the class back to him. "I don't want to waste any more time than I already have so let's resume yesterday's assignment. Please take out.."

Dan's hearing began to fuzz again and his eyelids droop. He put his head on his desk and pretended like he was writing something and closed his eyes. He was only going to nap for a little bit to catch up on sleep. Just a little bit. Before he knew it, Dan was asleep once again.

Later...

Dan had a book propped up in front of his face and scanned the pages slowly. He didn't usually eat during lunch. Mostly because he wasn't really that hungry at lunch and only ever ate dinner. Sophomores had their own lunch period at 1:00 PM through 1:40 PM. The cafeteria was filled with he sounds of clinking silverware, laughter, and loud conversation. It was a happy environment.

Dan didn't really sit next to anyone at lunch and instead resided in the corner of the cafeteria at the one table no one was at. It gave him time to read or do homework he hadn't done when he was actually at home. Also, the sounds of he other students was relaxing and it let him know that he could be alone. But not today. Not on the fourth day of the school year.

While he was focusing on his book, a shadow was loomed over him. It darkened the words and they were no longer legible. Dan looked up to see who it was and his eyes widened. It was Phil. The guy from earlier.

Phil looked a bit awkward just standing there with his backpack. He adjusted his neck tie before saying, "Hey. Daniel, right?"

"It's just Dan, really,", Dan replied, placing his bookmark within the thin pages of his book and closing it. Phil looked at the book then back at Dan. "Can I sit here? I don't know many people aside from the teachers here so far and this table is almost empty."

Dan stared at him for a moment. Phil wanted to sit with him? It was unusual for anyone to even approach Dan's table. However, he wanted to get to know this student.

"Sure. You can sit here."

(A/N: this is my first story here. sorry if it's a bit weird. there's gonna be songs at the beginning of each chapter, btw.)

~ mystery man 🌼