08

"But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power

"But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power. I'll find a way to be without you, babe."
- Writer In The Dark, Lorde

Bo sat at the kitchen table sipping her cup of coffee. It had been a week since she had found out what Paul was. She had been going to school, but other than that, she holed herself up in her house. On the odd nights when her brother came home and she was awake, even he had seemed to notice her distant behavior.

Sometimes he asked what was wrong, trying to get through to his baby sister, but Bo always replied with a vague excuse of being 'tired'. In the end, he decided that if it was serious, she would tell him.

Her brother, Berlin, emerged into the kitchen disheveled. Bo knew he had been up all night arguing with his business partner, Peter, about some new medical center they were designing in Vancouver. Despite being only 24 years old, Eli looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. 

Upon noticing his navy-blue joggers, Bo was pretty sure he was even wearing the same pajamas that he had been living in for the entire week. She mentally noted that she should do the laundry for him to at least get that chore off his chest.

Berlin poured himself a cup of coffee and stretched his arms over his shoulders, allowing his lean muscles to ripple as his shirt raised a little. A thick swirl of black peeked out from under his shirt when his chest heaved upwards.

Bo raised her eyebrows.

"You got a new tattoo." She said it as more of an observation than a question as she raised her cup of scolding hot liquid to her lips.

Bo was never one to frown upon tattoos, if anything, she liked them. She believes they are a way to attach yourself to something you love forever.

Her older brother glanced down where the black ink now adorned his abdomen.

"Yeah, a couple days ago. Had a few mornings to spare in Vancouver so I found an artist. Don't get to relax much nowadays and I've been wanting this design for a while now." Berlin smiled slightly, obviously showing his fondness for what he got inked on his body.

Both Bo's father and brother were fond of tattoos, having a good amount littering their bodies. Obviously her brother mostly wore suits for work, so he was able to have tattoos covering his arms without seeming unprofessional. Starting when he turned 18, Berlin now had both arms partly covered, and random spots on his chest adorning ink. 

Bo only had one tattoo, a small piece of writing that she treasured. The numbers '1964' inked in thin black writing on the back of her neck, representing the birth year of her late parents. 

"What is it? And please don't tell me it's one of those skull and crossbones, those are so tacky." Bo made a face as she imagined what it might be, hoping for Berlin's sake that it wasn't unappealing.

"Do you want to see it?" He chuckled lightly at his sister's expense, finding the face she pulled to be the most expressive she had been all week. "Just don't laugh."