Player

I glimpsed through my memories, both those that I remembered and I forgot. My first birthday, my brother being born, my first kiss. Then my memories slowed. I saw when I start cheating on my boyfriend. When I would skip dates to see my second boyfriend. The fights we often got into about where I would be and how I would never be with him. As these scenes played out in front of me, I saw Chase starting to realize that I was unfaithful. I wasn't as crafty as I believed myself to be.

Now I saw a memory that wasn't my own. I saw Chase arguing with himself. No. There was someone else there. I couldn't quite see who it was. Then, Chase went to the kitchen and grabbed a knife. When he picked up the knife, I could see who it was in the reflection. Ryan, my other boyfriend.

I was jolted back into reality where Chase stood over me, his hand clutching the knife embedded into my chest. I realized I was the one who was played, not who played. In the end, I was never the player, only the pawn in this cruel game of life.

Written June 26th, 2017. This was supposed to be the request for bittersweet, but I found the word player fit this better. Bittersweet will be up sometime this week though.