chapter two

5:22PM

Are you serious? Out of all the people in the world I have to protect this douche! I wanted to scream and kick, but I obviously couldn't say that. So I stuffed down my words and said, "Ok."

"I should get going," Anthurium said after a few seconds. "Good luck." And with that, her face shimmered away. The colorful mist disappeared and that was left was my reflection. In the mirror were my parents smiles and giddy faces. I was sandwiched in the middle, with a face full of dread.

"Roman," my mom finally said. She looked over to me. "Do you know this boy?"

Yeah, he was the biggest jerk I know and I'm contemplating jumping out of the window behind me. "Yeah, I mean, I know of him."

My mom was shaking with excitement. "Oh, I'm so happy for you, honey!" She stood up, brushing the invisible dust off her pants. "I think we'll leave you to think about this." She nodded to my father and they quickly raced out of my room.

I sat there for a few seconds, thinking over everything that just happened. I was so livid, I couldn't even think straight. Just my luck, of course it would be the person I absolutely despise.

I searched for my phone in my pocket and eventually dug it out. I had to text Annabelle about this.

Me: HAHAHAHAHA GUESS WHO I GOT

A few minutes later she responded.

Annabelle: who who?!?!?!

Me: ROMAN. IM SO I CANT EVEN THINK STRAIGHT THIS IS THE RUDEST THING

Annabelle: HAHA OH MY GOD

Annabelle: what are you gonna do?!! like how does this work

Me: honestly im not even sure at this point. i have to dedicate my entire life to this prick?? 

Annabelle: oh my god this is golden

I placed my phone on my desk and thought about what I was going to do about this.

***

7:48 PM

Hours later and a whole sheet of cake, I was in my room finishing up my Pre-Calculus homework. I don't even know why I was doing homework in the first place. It's not like I was going to be able to have a life anyways. College was completely out of the question. My life is basically controlled by my Holder.

This whole system pisses me off. Why should I have to be thrown into this? It's not like I chose to be born this way. I don't even get a say in this. It's just 'you're born a Controller, so this has to be your life now.' The most irritating this about it is that I can't just say these feelings. If I do, my entire family will be executed. Of course, I don't want that for them. But why do I have to sacrifice my life for someone? Especially someone I don't even have a choice in.

I threw my pencil across the room and it hit my tan walls with a clash. Just then, my white wooden door creaked open. Annabelle walked through the door, carrying a bag of Dunkin' Donuts munchkins.

"Someone's upset," she said with a laugh as she closed the door behind her. She came over to my bed to sit down, so I moved over to make room.

"Yeah," I said with a laugh in my breathe. "This whole thing has just been shitty."

"I can only imagine," she said, trying to comfort me, as she opened up the orange and white box between us. She got the raspberry filled ones, which were my favorite. "I would hate to be in your position. I hate just looking at Roman. And you have to keep him from getting killed? Well,  I would just let him die."