Born Again - Chapter Two

Lawrence, Kansas

22 years ago

A woman, Mary Winchester, was carrying a small child, her son Dean Winchester, born January 24th, 4 years of age.

They walk into a dark room, barely able to see Mary speaks up.

"Come on, let's say good night to your brother."

Mary then switches on the lights, in the nursery of the four-year olds baby brother, Sam, who is currently lying in his crib while looking over at his two older family members, Mary sets Dean down and he walks over to the crib, kissing Sam on the forehead.

"Night, Sam" Dean says, stepping back from Sam.

Mary then also walks towards the crib, copying the action her son made, kissing her youngest son on the forehead.

"Good night, love" She whispers, now also moving away from the crib.

"Hey, Dean" A males voice behind them says.

Dean turns towards the door, seeing a man wearing a USMC T-shirt, it was his farther, John Winchester. Dean rushes over to his farther.

"Daddy!" Dean exclaims, running towards his dad's open arms.

"Hey, buddy" He says, scooping up his eldest child, holding him in his arms.

"So what do you think? You think Sammy's ready to toss around a football yet?" John jokes, looking at Dean.

Dean shook his head in response, giggling slightly.

"No, Daddy." Dean replies back, still laughing. John also laughs, his deep voice erupting from his chest. Mary walks pass them both, looking at her husband and son.

"You got him?" Mary asks expectantly.

"I got him." John then hugs Dean tighter, then spoke to his younger son,

"Sweet dreams, Sam."

Schlepping Dean out of the room and flipping the lights off. Sam watches them leave the room, trying to reach his small toes.

The baseball-themed mobile started to turn, no source of wind in the room, as the windows were closed, Sam just sits and watches. The transportation-themed clock, that used to be ticking, had stopped, batteries fine, not broken. The moon-shaped night-light flickers, on and of like a breaking light, though, I was not breaking, it was in fact, in perfect condition.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom of the parents, lights flicker on a baby monitor, located on a nightstand, next to it, a picture of Mary and John. Strange noises where erupting from the monitor. Mary is asleep in bed, stirring at the noises that had came through the machine. She turns the light on, wanting to be able to see.

"John?" The feminine voice called from the now slightly lit darkness.

Mary turns around to find that she is alone. She gets up from the bed that was previously being used for sleeping. As she walked into her babies room, she saw a silhouette, of what she thought was supposedly, her husband.

"John? Is he hungry?" Mary asks.

"Shhh" The man replies, bringing a finger (though it was barely visible in the pitch black room) to his lips, signalling for Mary to be quiet, to not wake Sammy up of course.

"All right." She says as she turns away, and heads back down the hallway. The light by the stairs starts to flicker. Mary frowns and goes to tap the light until the flicking stops, in which it does.

"Hm..." Mary hums in wonder, seeing the flicker as an 'electrical difficulty' , that is until the lights start to flicker down stairs, almost as if there shivering,

afraid.

Mary decided to walk down stairs, investigating the lights. A war movie is playing on the TV and John has fallen asleep on the chair, watching the movie. If John is sleeping here... Mary realizes and quickly runs up the stairs, heading for Sam's room.

"Sammy! Sammy!" She calls for her baby as Mary enters the room and stops.

Downstairs, John is still asleep, until he hears the scream of his wife, this woke him up imminently, making him call out to Mary in caution

"Mary?" John scrambles out of his chair, starting towards the stairs.

"Mary!" John sprints up the stairs, and runs through the closed door of the nursery, stopping once he had entered.

"Mary." He states, looking around the room to find it empty, and quiet. All except Sam, who is awake in his crib, and himself. He then walks to Sam, glances round and pulls down the side of the crib.

"Hey, Sammy. You okay?" He whispers to the boy, before seeing dark drips next to Sam, he reaches out to the stain and touches it.

Two more fall on the back of John's large hand, making him notice that it looks a lot like blood. This causes John to look up, now knowing it was a grave mistake. Mary is sprawled across the ceiling, the stomach located on her nightgown red with blood, staring at John, barely able to breathe. John collapses to the floor, staring at Mary, horror written all over his face.

"No! Mary!" John bellows, before seeing his wife burst into flames.

Fire spreads across the ceiling, like a spray of sun dancing across it, destroying and devouring. John stares, frozen at the sight, the woman he cherished, loved and cared for, dead before his eyes. He snaps out of it once the wails of Sam make him notice he isn't alone. He scoops up his youngest son and rushes out of the room. By now, without doubt, Dean is awake and is coming to investigate, he was having a dream of a messy haired guy, older than him, looked around 20-30, though he forgot his name. In the dream he was older too, he talked with, who he assumed to be the best friend of his older self.

He was quickly snapped out of his thoughts when he heard approaching foot steps, he called out to his father.

"Daddy!" He also sees he is carrying his brother. He is surprised when he shoves Sam towards Dean.

"Take your brother outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!" Dean follows his fathers orders and runs down stairs and outside, where he waits for his farther.

"Mary!" John falls out to his wife, who is seen almost completely consumed by flames.

"No!" He calls again as Mary is devoured by the fire.

"It's okay, Sammy." Dean whispers to his brother, holding him in his arms tightly. He then sees the nursery combust into devastation, in result, having the windows blown out. John comes running out of the house, Mary nowhere in sight. He scoops up the two brothers, gripping them with care.

"I've gotcha." He mutters to them in a reassuring voice, though probably, to convince himself more than his sons.

Later, the fire department had arrived, stopping the fire spreading further, by watering it down with a hose. On the other side of the street, Dean and his farther sit on the hood of the Impala, John holding Sam in his arms.

Dean starts to think of the dream he had.

'Who was that man?'

-Dessy