JEFFERY

JEFFERY the killer

Jeffrey was five and killing his mother. Slowly. By inches. By months not minutes or even days. He frightened her to the point she rarely ate or slept.She cried a lot while waiting the long hours until her husband came home from work. Jeffrey had shown his mother many times what he was but never revealed this truth to his father.

Taking a deep breath Senior opened the door to a not so unusual sight of his wife sobbing face down on the sofa. Little Jeff was stacking blocks and jumped up to hug his dad's leg.

" Daddy look a castle. I built it all by myself. Moms not feeling good again. Do you like it.?"

" I love it Jeff. It's a super duper castle. Did you eat lunch pal?"

" Kind of. Mom had a really super bad headache so I ate crackers and dipped them in milk. I spilled on the floor. Sorry."

Jeffrey Hanes Sr. could picture the little guy struggling to get the milk poured and the crackers from the top cabinet. " Spilled milk never hurt a thing pal. I have a surprise for you guy."

" What? What Daddy?" The boy took a step backwards clapping and tumbled his castle. " Uh oh."

" We'll put that castle up right after I finish dinner for us. The surprise is I have a really nice lady that is going to stay here with you while I'm at work?"

" Oh. Is she old?"

" Well, not real old. Like your granny. She's real nice and loves children. I bet she is a lot of fun."

" Hope so. Is it because Mommy has headaches?"

" Yeah. Because your mom has headaches."

At seven the next morning the doorbell rang and Alice Hanes opened the door to the new nanny. She was about fifty,plump and had a broad and friendly smile. " You must be Mrs. Hanes? I'm Carol the new..."

" I know who you are. Jeffrey is eating breakfast. I'm going back to bed." As Alice slowly walked to the stairs she turned slowly and said in a whisper, " Be careful."

Carol had been filled in on Alice's 'problems' and so went straight to the kitchen where Jeffrey was eating cereal Pops from the box.

" Hello there Jeff. My name is Carol. I'm going to stay with you during the day. Sound like fun?"

" I knew you were coming. Daddy told me. He didn't tell me your name though. You work here right?"

" Sure do." Carol said smiling.

" Good. Then get me a proper bowl of cereal. With milk. Then we're going to play blocks."

" Now listen little man. I will of course fix your breakfast but you are not going to speak to me like that. I work for your father. Now if you can be polite we will play blocks after you finish your cereal." Jeff looked into Carol's eyes squinting and holding the gaze until she looked away.

For an hour after breakfast blocks were stacked and knocked down. Stacked and kicked. Each time they scattered Carol picked them up and laid them before her young charge.

" Do you ever do bad things Carol?" Jeffrey asked while stacking a new tower.

" I try not to. People should always try to be good."

" I don't think so", the tower fell with a hard kick. " Being bad is fun. After my nap we'll play peek-a-boo."

" Aren't you a little old for peek-a-boo?"

" After my nap...Carol."

Jeffrey napped for almost two hours. Carol had never met a child she disliked. Especially one so young. She would have to let Mr. Hanes she was not up to the task. She felt a little misled. No wonder the poor mother suffered so. A shadow fell between Carol's legs and splashed along the hallway carpet. She jumped. Then turned. The boy stood there - a mean grin lighting his eyes.

" Peek-a-boo Carol."

Carols heart thumped but she forced a smile. " Oh. O.K. We always called that hide and seek."

Well you were wrong. It's called peek-a-boo and it's really fun. Go hide and I'll try to find you."

" O.K.,I'll try and hide real good."

" Better. Or it gets real scary. I'll count to ten three times. One, two, three...."

Carol took the steps up as fast as age and weight allowed. Going into the guest bedroom she hid behind the floor length drapes. She count still hear Jeffrey's clumsy counting but he was cheating and was in the room with her. He giggled. Ready or not here I come. Without hesitation he threw back the curtains and shouted," "Peek-a-boo.". His face seemed somehow changed. Just a slight difference but it frightened Carol.

Trying to keep a playful tone in her voice Carol said, "Got me. My turn."

" No it's still my turn Carol. Still my peek-a-boo turn." Black, oozing tendrils shot from Jeffries mouth and covered Carols face. Screams muffled in her throat until she could breath no more. She slumped to the carpet lifeless.

"Poor Carol. She was kind of fun.I better check on Mommy."