The Perfect Death- A Hunger Games Fan-fic

I open my eyes to pure blue. It hurts at first so I squint. Then I look to my left and see Abby. Abby is my best friend. We came to the wheat fields to be alone. Of course there is no such thing as alone here, but we walked far enough into the field that it almost felt like we were alone. There are no voices. It's quiet.

In exactly one week District 9 will hold the Reaping for the 50th Hunger Games. The Hunger Games states that two victors, a boy and a girl, from each district with be chosen at random and put up against each other to fight to the death. There was a Great War that destroyed most of the population and this is supposed to give us hope or something. I think it's a load of bull. This is my fifth games. Only one more year to go and I won't be in the Reaping anymore. I have an overwhelming feeling of nerves in my stomach and legs. I always feel like this during this time of the year. At the start of the month it starts in my stomach and works it's way up. On the day of the Reaping I have nausea all the way up to my throat. I am tight and flinch at everything.

One week. This also means we will find out what the Quarter Quell has in store for us today. Us. No not us, the tributes.

Every 25 years of the Hunger Games, something special is done to the games. It's never good. If you get picked this year, it's never in your favor. They should get rid of that dumb saying.

The sun shines high in the middle of the air and it is warm on my skin. I roll over in the plants and sit up. I enjoy the moment of silence. I let myself sit in the warm breeze for a minute. Abby is sleeping still, so I tap on her shoulder. She moans and opens her eyes the same way I did, squinting at first.

"Oh man." She says while rubbing her eyes. "What time is it?"

I look up at the sun.
"About noon." I reply.

"We should probably get back for lunch, Kalani." Abby tells me.

"Yea." And I get up.

We over look the grain field and at he horizon the sky looks like it is glowing gold from the crops. It feels dreamy. As we walk closer to town we see more and more workers. It gets louder and louder. Workers sing and hum to get through the day. Some talk or shout to each other. But it's still dull and quiet out here. Surreal.

~~~

In town things are much louder. People scurry around carrying hoes and rakes. Some rush towards the field and others are coming back. It is always chaotic at lunch time. Everyone's either going to work or coming home to eat. Chickens are loose from their pens and they peck at odd things on the ground. Little kids play in the dirt and grass.

Abby and I head back to my house because my mother is home at lunchtime. My father is out working in the fields. Abby's parents both work out in the fields after lunch, so she joins us.

"Morning, mom!" I say with a smile.

"Kalani, it's the afternoon now." She replies with a smirk.

"Whatever!" I say as I get out the plates.

My house is small and grey. I think somewhere along the line it used to be white, but dust and dirt has certainly changed that. We aren't poor, but we aren't rich either. We have just one bathroom, a kitchen, a dining area, and two bedrooms. My parents have their room and I share my room with my three year old sister, Enna. Abby loves Enna. I think she is a piece of work.

We sit down for lunch, just as Enna walks in from the bedroom with a blanket in hand. My mother serves us with bread and pan fried chicken and Enna's whining begins. It's our usual lunch, but my mom never fails to make it perfectly.

"Momma can I have a drink?" Enna says.

"I'll get it." I say with a sigh as I hop out of my seat and walk towards the fridge.

"Once again, Mrs. Peterson, lunch is delicious! Thank you!" Abby says to my mom.

"Oh thank you, Abby. That's sweet."

"Yea, thanks, mom! Is it ok if Abby and I go for a walk after lunch?" I ask.

"Of course as long as your back for dinner." My mom tells me.

"Jeesh we're not walking to the Capital and back! I'll be back in less than two hours." I say.

"Okay, Ms. Sassy-pants!" My mom says jokingly.

~~~

After lunch Abby and I decided to walk to the the edge of the district. It about a 45 minute walk from my house until you reach the fence that keeps us isolated from District 10.
Sometimes by this fence we see the farm animals from District 10. They have provided all the agriculture needs of Panem, where all the districts are. My district provides grains. District 12 is a coal industry and so on. As you get lower in the District numbers, they get increasingly rich. You aren't supposed to prepare for the games, but district 1, 2, and 3 do and they get away with it.

The Capital is where all the rich people live. Like fashion designers and high class models. A representative from the capital is chosen for each district and they choose the name out of a bowl at the Reaping. Our representative is Vivi Darling. What a name right?

Abby and I watched for animals until the sun was starting to lower and it was time to head home. Tonight on our television they would announce the specialty of the 50th annual Hunger Games. And the nausea rose.