Chapter 2

I walked home alone. The sky had since grown dark and there was a slight breeze in the air, chillier than before. I was haunted by the fact that when I got home, I would find out the specialty of the 50th games. This time was so... Different.

I arrived at my front door and realized I was late. I guess walking took a little longer than I had anticipated. It's about 5:45. Fifteen minutes late. Greaaat. I wouldn't hear the end of this one and no more walks...

I walked through the front door casually.

"Hey mum." I said. "Woah did you cook early?" I asked putting on my best confused face as I noticed everyone but me eating at the dinner table.

My mother stood up.

"Kalani! You know better than to be late! And this time of year? You had us worried sick!" My mom shouted.

"Mom I swear, I didn't realize what time it was!"

"No more going out past three! Do you hear me?"

I just stared at her. I knew his was coming but I thought maybe if I lied I could get a little slack on punishment.

"Ok." I said softly. "I'm sorry."

I guess I wasn't the only one high strung.

I sat down for dinner and fixed my plate.

"Hi, Dad." I greeted him. He had been silent the entire time my mother scolded me.

"Kalani, you should listen to-"

"Okay! I get it! I don't need to be told twice!" I got up and ate in my room. I couldn't stand how my father just automatically sided with everything my mom said. It was like he wasn't even his own person.

I would have to come out sometime. I needed to know what this years game was all about. Did I really need to know? Do I even want to? I lay down on my bed and realize my mother would come in here to put Enna to bed and tell me anyway. I sigh and sit up again. Might as well go out now.

I walk into the living room silently where my parents and Enna sit in front of the television. I don't say anything I just sit. On the TV President Snow stands at a podium in the usual capital attire, a designer suit and a red satin handkerchief. President Snow was different in the way that he never dyed his hair and put on makeup. He was simple. He was handsome for a 40 year old, just a few years older than my father.

He started talking into the microphone and the crowd he talks in front of goes silent.

"Good evening. As we all know, the Hunger Games is a symbol of sacrifice." He gives the usual speech that talks about the Hunger Games and it's purpose. It's routine and I zone out.

"And now I'm sure you are all waiting and excited to hear how this years Quarter Quell will run."

My attention immediately jumped back to the tv. I watched intently with wide eyes.

"This year, in celebration of the 50th Annual Hunger Games, 2nd Quarter Quell, each district will volunteer up two boys and two girls for a total of four tributes from each district and 48 tributes in this years games. There will still be only one victor. Happy Hunger Games, may the odds be ever in your favor."

And just like that President Snow stepped down and walked away.

Four tributes from each district? That means my chances for entry are increased and my chance of survival would be decreased... That doesn't make any sense! 48 tributes, one victor. What game is that? That's more like certain death.

On the tv the capital citizens cheer. Those bastards. They don't even have to participate in the games, let alone contribute to society. They sit up on their high horse and pity us. They have no idea what the districts go through. They have no hearts. They are such ignorant, self-serving pieces of-!

"Well." My father looks at me with slightly watery eyes.

"Well...?" I reply confused.

"Let's hope the odds are in your favor, you won't get chosen. There's so many kids being entered in the drawing this year and you don't put your name in extra for more food."

"True, but there's that slight chance..." I say but can't continue my voice shakes so bad.

"Honey, don't be worried. You have done this many times before." My mother reassures me.

"Yea." I say tightly and I go to bed.