Chapter 4

What is happening?

I'm in a room, it's small with two cushioned chairs a side table and no windows. The walls are plain and dark except for one wooden door that lead me here.

What am I supposed to be doing in here?

"Hello?"

Nothing.

"Helloooo-" The door opens fast and scares me so bad I fall right into the seat behind me.

But in comes my parents and Enna. I jump up as fast as I fell and grab them both in a tight hug.

"Mom..." I say as I start to cry.

"I know, baby, I love you." She says. But that only makes me cry harder.

I let go of my mom and my knuckles are white. My father approaches me and I look him in the eyes knowing he sees fear in mine.

"Kalani, I love you, but to get through this you have to be brave. You think you can do that?" He waits. I nod. "Good girl, I know you can do this." He hugs me tight, but I hug back tighter knowing it's the last hug from him ever.

"Dad... I'm scared." I tell him.

"I know honey, but remember our deal? You have to be brave."

"Okay." I barely say. "Hey sweetie, How are you?" I say to my sister.

"Hi, Kawani!" She grabs ahold of me.

"I love you so much you know that right?" I tell her.

She nods. "How come you're crying, sissy?" She asks me.

"Cause I'm going away, sweetheart."i hug her and give her a million kisses until someone opens the door.

"Times up! Let's go!"

A peacekeeper grabs both of my parents.

"Mom! Dad! I love you!"

Both of my parents call back to me but they are forced out if the door without a seconds chance.

Well. What do I do now?

I stand up, as I do the door opens.

It's just a peacekeeper.

"Time to go, come on girlie."

I slowly walk to him and he escorts me to a train. The train that will lead me to no return.

I'm joined by the other tributes and I take Lana by the hand with her red puffy eyes.

"Do you see Abby before you left?"

She just nods without looking at me.

"Good. Did she say anything?"

She nods again.

"Lana, come on I need you to talk."

"She... she said she loves us both, even if it goes wrong."

I know what that means. Abby and I both made a pact that if anyone in out family was chosen the same as us in the games, that we would do everything we could to save them. And she would still be my friend if I failed. we were like sisters.

I checked out the other two tributes once we were settled on the train.

Kai was a small and humble gentleman. He was very closed I everyone around him and I guess I can't blame him. He was tall and a bit skinny with brown eyes and dark hair.

Zurich looked as if he was going through withdrawals. He was uptight with bloodshot eyes, probably from crying. Or stressing you never know in this case. He didn't seem to want to get to know me either and I guess I would be the same if I had actually though that I might have to kill them at one point. I wouldn't want to kill someone I knew someone I knew was a good person and that had a family back home waiting for them. I'd just rather not know.

And now I wonder, what it's like. To win I mean. And to come back home with blood on your hands. Waking up every morning knowing that you did what you had to to survive but that your fellow citizen doesn't get to wake up every morning, or live the rest f their life even though you do it in agony and guilt.

I'm not sure I want to survive this.

We spend several days on the train which, by the way, is loaded with delicacies, so rich compared to our districts food that I almost can't enjoy them.

I spend most of my time mentally preparing myself and Lana, comforting her and distracting her. The train, though, is very fast and we reach the capital in a few days.

When we do, it's a sight I can't even describe.