Chapter Two

The next three days were wonderful. The day after Dimitri was released from hospital, they lifted the restrictions on student movements. Since there were so many places I could be, and there were still no classes, it was way too easy for me to spend hours in my Russian God's bedroom, which is exactly what I did.

We spent most of the third morning after the rescue making out. While Dimitri's ribs still bothered him, it wasn't enough to keep us away from each other. We'd discovered him leaning against the bedhead, me straddling his lap, was the perfect position. Provided I was gentle with his right side, it didn't hurt him, and it left all our other areas free to touch.

We'd been fully clothed, but slowly divested each other of garments until finally, we were in our underwear—two thin pieces of cotton all that was separating us from once again being one. Dimitri's long sensuous fingers were already at the edge of my panties when a bang of a door closing then the muffled sounds of Guardians talking as they walked along the hallway past the room distracted him.

"We can't do this, Rose," Dimitri groaned between heated kisses.

"But I want to!" I moaned, rocking my hips against his. "I want to so much! I burn for you!"

"I do, too. But you're seventeen years old and my student! I can't Roza."

"It didn't stop you the other day!" I snapped in frustration.

"I know, but it should have. I shouldn't have let myself do what I did. It was..."

"A mistake?" I supplied, feeling as though a bucket of ice water had been dumped on me. "You think being with me was a mistake?"

I climbed off his lap, hastily grabbing my bra and pulling it on before adding my shirt and pulling back on my jeans. Tears were already in my eyes, so I turned away so he wouldn't see them.

"I didn't say that, Rose," he growled, pulling the quilt up to cover the bulge in his boxers that showed how much he'd wanted it, too. "I was going to say irresponsible!"

"You regret it, don't you?" I whispered.

"I regret the impossible situation it puts us in. But I could never regret being with you, Rose. I love you, but we can't do this again until you graduate."

"But that's three and a half months away," I wailed. "Do you really think we can stop ourselves loving until then?"

"I don't think I'll ever be able to stop myself loving you," Dimitri said, running his hand over his face in exasperation. "But we need to not act on it. Physically."

"But I'm eighteen in two days!"

"It's not just your age, Roza. I'm employed as a Guardian, and part of my role is to teach you. If we get caught, my career would be over, and the same with yours—before it even got started."

I still had my back to him. I didn't want him to see the traitorous tears leaking from my eyes.

"Roza?" he implored, moving painfully across the bed and catching my hand within his. "It's not forever, I promise. Just a few more months, then we're free to be together."

He pulled me back to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Can I kiss you at least?" I asked petulantly.

"In private, you can," he said. "We just need to be careful. Your mother is probably already suspicious after you ran back into the caves to save me."

He was right. Mom might not pay me a lot of attention, but she wasn't stupid.

"Which is why you need to spend the rest of the day with your friends! Go hang out with them, and I'll see you at the assembly this evening," he suggested.