The Sweet Smell of Coffee - 1

I wake up in gradual steps, the first thing I notice is the chill of the fan, cooling the parts of me that are uncovered by the comforter. The light streaming in from the window pulls me out of the void of sleep, and I open my eyes with a sigh. I roll over to face the wall and close my eyes once again, I've never been a morning person. 

. . .

Gradually I come to the realisation that I, in fact, need to get up and do something with my life.

Pushing myself up into a sitting position, I glance at the clock: eleven forty-four, I really need to fix my sleep schedule. But then again, I say that every morning. I chuckle quietly at my habits before grabbing my phone. Most of the notifications are irrelevant, except the text from my mom, it has been too long since I've talked to her. 

The message reads: You told me the other day that you wanted to get up earlier, call me your personal alarm clock. 

Well, she sent that three hours ago, oops. I stretch my limbs out and pushing myself onto my feet. Then I make my way over to the door, out to the hallway and into the white base bathroom. I splash some water onto my face and give myself a stare down. Picking up the blue and white striped brush, I run it through my dirty blonde hair. Briefly, I glance at the makeup on the counter but decide against it, I'm not trying to impress anyone anyway.

Walking back into my room, I run through the rest of my morning routine. I end up wearing a navy green and grey sweatshirt with plain dark jeans and some navy green high-top converse. Grabbing my laptop bag I walk out of my apartment, making sure to lock it. 

It's fairly warm outside and I end up rolling my sleeves up to my elbows. As I stroll I think about the work I'll do today. Being one of the lucky few that has an 'at home job' I don't really have a boss, at least one that monitors my every move. Since I love to be as cliche as possible, I tend to spend most of my days working at the cafe.    

-------------------

The wonderful aroma of coffee surrounds me as I step into the shop. The small bell is audible as I let the door close behind me. Looking around, I notice that all but one of the tables are taken up, good thing I'm the only one in line.

The cashier takes my order and I stand by the counter waiting for it. She hands it to me with a polite smile and a probably rehearsed "thank you".

Before I turn away I decide to open my table for sharing. "This place is really crowded today, huh?"

"It really is, we usually don't get this much business." She sighs quietly and shrugs.

"If anyone else comes in, tell them that they can sit with me if they want to." I say, gesturing to the table in the corner.

"Thank you so much, I will." She responds.

I smile at her and walk over to the table. The chair squeaks against the floor as I pull it out from its spot. Sitting down, I take a small sip of my coffee, the slightly bitter taste is nice. 

A few sips of coffee later I feel myself settling into the environment, not that that is hard to in a decently quiet cafe. Pulling my laptop out of its bag, I get to work. My mind hones in on the assignment from work, despite how boring it is.

--------------------

About a half hour later I decide to take a break, and get something from the counter. Along with having some really good coffee, this place has great sandwiches. I get a simple BLT and sit back down. God damn, if this isn't a slice of heaven I don't know what is. 

I am stopped mid-bite when a hand is put forcefully in front of me. A girl stands there, she has shoulder length auburn hair and piercing blue eyes. She glances at the sandwich I'm eating and then removes her hand from the table.