Finding Yourself -- 1

Okay this is something new and I dont know if I will continue this.. but if people like it then maybe I will=)

enjoy!

-------------------------

Chapter 1.

Trying to keep my eyes off the front of the room, I walked into first hour biology. The letters S-E-X, each three-feet high, were printed in pink chalk. Pink!

At my side, Vee Sky rolled her green eyes and for the millionth time I thought: just like cat's eye marbles. She is like a cat in many ways.

"McFarland thinks he can teach me something I don't already know?" she said, cocking her head at the cloudy pink letters.

I laughed. But I knew her heart was pounding from doing laps around the possibility of learning more about sex. She may have gone out with most of the boys from school, but she's never gone 'that' far.

The bell rang.

Coach McFarland grabbed the whistle swinging from a chain around his neck and blew it. "Seats, team!"

Vee and I passed a smile. Aside from coaching varsity football, Mr. McFarland teaches tenth grade biology. It was his idea of on the side teaching.

"It may not have occurred to you kids that sex is science," Coach continued. "And what is science?"

"Boring," some kid in the back of the room called out.

"The only class I'm failing," another said.

Coach McFarland looked down the front row. He stopped at me. "Noelle?"

"The study of something," I said casually.

"What else?"

I shrugged one shoulder. "New discoveries."

"And how do you discover something?"

I touched the tip of my tongue to my upper lip. What was he looking for? If this had been English or history, I'd have known. But biology, with all those squirming organisms too small for the naked eye...

"It's about sleuthing," he said, sanding his big hands together. "Team, that is what leads us to the goal line. The ability to dig around."

Put that way, science almost sounded fun. Juicy, even. But I'd been in Coach's class long enough to know this: never get your hopes up.

"And good sleuthing takes practice," he continued.

"But sex doesn't," came another back-of-the-room comment. Mostly everyone laughed. But not me and Vee--we yawned. We were mature; we were supposed to be too cool for that stuff.

Coach McFarland turned back to me. "Noelle, you've been sitting next to Vee since the beginning of the year." I nodded. You never knew where this guy was leading. "And both of you are on the cheer squad together, correct? So you probably know quite a bit about each other." Vee kicked my shoe under our shared table. I knew what she was thinking. That he had no idea how much we knew about each other. I mean, if one of us ever disappeared, the detectives would probably come to the other before they bothered with our parents.

Coach McFarland looked out at the rest of the class. "In fact, I'll bet each of you know the person sitting beside you pretty well. After all, you picked the seats you did for a reason, right? Because of familiarity. Too bad that doesn't leave room for good sleuthing. Which is why, today, we are creating a new seating chart."

I opened my mouth to protest but Vee beat me to it "What the crap? Its the middle of the semester you cant pull that kind of stuff now!"

"I can pull 'that stuff' all the way to the last day of the semester. And if you fail, Ill be pulling that stuff all next year too."