O.N.E

Present Day

I shrugged my shoulders around, feeling the freeness of them. Evan sure did know how to use his hands. I looked up at the clock, he was supposed to call me almost an hour ago. It wasn't like Evan to not call, it was too unprofessional. I really needed another appointment soon, all the stress from Ryker and school was beginning to really weigh down on me. Evan was the only one I would ever trust with my neck and shoulders. Everyone else presses too hard.

As I grabbed a banana from the counter, I heard something that sounded like glass break. I didn't think much of it as I peeled my breakfast, my mother broke plenty of shit all the time.

Plshckbleh

Shattering glass sounded again. I finished my banana, and decided to go see what the hell she was destroying today.

Upstairs, I found my mother throwing my clothes into a black garbage bag with red ties. I narrowed my eyes at her. My mother and I never got along, and we practically despised each other, but this was a new low. I saw the remnants of a snow globe on the ground, which had made the sound I heard downstairs. I kicked away the wooden base, water marks left on the tan carpet where it had been sitting.

"What the hell is this!?" I asked exclaimed angrily, taking a step toward her. The old floor boards creaked beneath my weight. She waved her wooden spoon at me. It was yellow with age, and looked about ready to break in half. Watching her wave it around as if she was a wild animal, reminded me of the time I ran away from home. When she found me days later...I had bruises from that spoon for weeks.

"Done. Noah, I told you I was done." She began sweeping off everything from my shelves into the bag, on top of the clothes already in it. I heard something within the bag break and cursed her silently for being so careless with my belongings.

"Oh, really? What did I do this time?" I asked her, slightly amused with the whole situation. This was exactly something she would pull.

"I'm tired of you sleeping around and ruining the family name---" She began, but I quickly cut her off.

"I'm the one who is ruining the family name!? How about the woman whose husband left her for his secretary, or how about the time you were arrested for dealing Heroin!?" I shouted at her, waving my arms around in anger.

"I want you out of my house right now," She said shakily, by the sweat on her brow and her sunken in cheeks, I could tell she was using again. Her beady, brown eyes darted to mine as she threw the full, plastic bag at me. I picked it up from the disgusting carpet and swung it over my shoulder.

"Good, because I'm done with you too," I said calmly. I quickly grabbed a picture from the wall and shoved it in my garbage bag full of junk.

"I never want to see your slutty little face again!" My mother shouted as I went down the crickety stairs. I just gave her the bird and never looked back.

...

Finally. Finally he had found her. The angel pulled his trench coat tighter around him, blending in with the crowd. His coat and long pants were the perfect disguise for the middle of September. After seventeen years, he finally figured out how the humans told time. Apparently there were months and seasons and all kinds of strange rituals that went along with them.

He followed the girl with caramel hair through the crowd. She veered in and out of the group, knowing exactly how to weave herself through the scrambled line of humans. The angel followed clumsily, not yet accommodated to the unorganized streets. But the angel could care less about tripping over the moving feet, because he had finally found the girl. The girl who would save the Balance.

Before he could make his move, he saw something in the distance. Something much darker. The thing was much closer to the girl, it followed her in stride. It wove just as she did, yet she didn't sense it. The angel finally came to realize what it was. The greatest demon ever crafted, the Veqlargh.