Chapter 19: The Talk

Booyeah! I'm on fire! I have published two chapters in one day! :D

Are you proud of me? NO.... ok then... oh well.

BTW: this is a short chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RECAP:

"Hello?" I answered the call.

"Alison, honey? It's me."

"Dad."

-

My dad was like all the other dads. The one who was strict when it came to studies. The one who was playful at times. But it just so happened that he was never proud. Of who? His daughters.

"Daddy! Look at this!" I exclaimed, my nine-year-old self getting on my new bright purple skateboard.

Daddy shrugged and looked up from his newspaper. "What do you want?"

"Look! I learned how to do it!" I kicked the ground and I was zooming across the sidewalk with my skateboard under my feet.

I smiled to myself when I stopped and I turned around to look at his expression. Only problem. I couldn't see one. He was turned back to his paper and was sipping his morning coffee. 

"Daddy?"

"Mmm."

"Did you see me?"

"Yeah, yeah." He waved me off. "Aha. He took the pencil which was placed on top of his ear and wrote in the answer to another crossword answer.

My mouth quivered. He hadn't seen me. He didn't even bother to.

My sister, Marissa, came out of the house and towards our dad. "Look daddy, my project!" She shoved a large cardstock paper in front of him. He glanced at it for a second.

"Cool. Now go back inside and study."

I saw her take a deep breath, sadness lining her eyes, and go back inside the house to study.

My mother saw how my father treated his daughters and even if my mother still loved him, they divorced when I was thirteen. It's been four years and my mother has not gotten over their divorce. When I was fourteen, I found her crying in a corner of her bedroom and I asked her what happened. "Even a doctor like me can't help the many people suffering from heartbreak." was her only answer and I knew what she was crying about. I hugged her and we sat like that for the rest of the day.

"Hey Alison."

"Why are you calling?" I asked, my voice cold.

"You're still my daughter. Why can't I call?"

"Just talk. What do you want?"

"I wanted to talk to you. About your acting career."

Here it goes... He's going to say that he's not proud of my decision. He's going to tell me that I ruined my future. Maybe he's going to ignore the fact that I am a rising actress and he's going to tell me to start applying for colleges.

"I'm proud of you."

Well that's a first.

"What?"

"I'm proud of you, honey. You're going after your dreams unlike me. But you have to finish your studies."

I knew he would twist it to that.

"Dad. I'm a senior in high school. I have most of my education-"

"No. You have to go to acting school if you want to be a big person in the acting industry."

"Stop it! You have no right to tell me what to do. Especially after you disowned me." With that I cut the call.

I may have overreacted a little bit but I couldn't take my dad's discouraging words anymore.

That's all. I'm done talking to him about my life.

That's it! Chapter 19 is now done! Yay!